Hi, my name is Gail2018! Income AND Contribution — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Gail2018! Income AND Contribution

Options
Gail2018
Gail2018 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I have been to the dentist and shown my benefit papers.  They told me I was exempt.  I had treatment and a month later a letter arrived with a penalty of £100+ £20.60 for the treatment.  I rang the dentist and the NHS no.  immediately, paid the £20.60 and appealed the £100.  They refused and said it was my fault and I had to pay the £100 penalty, even after I explained the Dentist had seen all my papers.  I’m told there are two types of this benefit, income based and contribution based.  I never knew this, and neither did the dentists office.  They have backed me up an said it is an honest mistake, but I’m really worried about having to pay £100, it will be such a struggle.  Anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Gail and welcome

The dentist should have been aware that only income related ESA enititles you to free treatment and other NHS services

If you are on a low income you can apply for an HC2 certificate

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Gail2018
    Options
    Thank you CR.
    you would certainly think so wouldn’t you! ☹️
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,230 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's not really a dentist receptionists responsibility to know which type allows for free treatment/prescriptions. This is down to the person claiming the benefit. It's your responsibility.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Gail2018
    Options
    I realise that now Poppy.  But not helpful, a bit like ‘close the gate’ when the horse has bolted!  Won’t make that mistake again.  I’ve spoken to her an she didn’t know there were 2 types of this benefit.  Advice shouldn’t have been given to us in the first place.  The rules are changed so often it’s hard to keep up!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.