Reason for short awards? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reason for short awards?

Options
wildlife
wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
@Scope Please can you help answer this question. Are the short awards made because the assessors/DMs think a condition will get worse in the short term or is it always because they are so lackintg in knowledge and common sense that they think all conditions are curable or have the ability to improve? The answer to this could make all the difference in a claimants attitude and stress levels on review of their claim and also affect what evidence they need to supply, i.e. prognoses etc. 

Comments

• wildlife
    Options
    Sorry the heading should read "short awards"
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Short awards 2-3 years are given if there may be a change for better or worse.
    My wife was given a 2 year award (Enhanced both ) because she had just had a hip replacement which impacted on her mobility so reasonable to expect an improvement. which it won't
    I have a three year award ( enhanced mobility standard DL ) with deterioration expected. which it has so expecting higher on review

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 215 Listener
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @CockneyRebel so my mums says it would be appropriate to review the claim in 2 years and she has wrote underneath a review in the medium term is therefore recommended...so is they a chance DWP might give her more than 2 years ? Thankyou for any replies.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The DWP might set the end date at three years but with a review in two

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 215 Listener
    Options
  • wildlife
    Options
    @CockneyRebel Thank-you for your reply. I will have got worse in 2 years but have learnt so much that hopefully it will go smoothly next time. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    wildlifewildlife,

This is a good question. I'm sure that lack of knowledge about the probable development in someone's condition do not help. I think all we can really do is to point you to the guidance on when different sorts of awards are meant to apply. 

This guidance about setting award dates is from an FOI request. it's from 2016. As CR says, the decisions sometimes have a logic to them. But I think sometimes they don't - even when there isn't an obvious forthcoming or possible change (such as adjusting to a hip replacement) I think it's quite common to see shorter awards than you might expect. It also seems from the guidance that you will get reviewed if your condition is likely to deterioriate - which seems odd if you are already at the highest award possible!

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• wildlife
    Options
    @Will thank-you for your reply. Yes I also think this is an important topic to discuss as it could change the way you approach your review. I am sure from what you say that I should have got a lifetime or 10 year award rather than 3 years. I am 67 and all my conditions/disabilities have been caused by lifetime events rather than a short term condition which could improve. They will all gradually if not rapidly get worse. I am dreading having to go through it all again but at least I no what to expect. Do you have any advice about how much I could say about how far I took my case this time around  especially if ICE find in my favour as regards the lies etc later in the year. Will DWP know if this happens?  
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello wildlife

The Decision Maker theoretically has access to your full case notes, but generally they will consider the most recent evidence e.g. recent application form, recent medical assessment, other recent medical evidence when making a renewal decision. 

In regards to any future decisions, it will be about what your difficulties are at that point in the future and not necessarily about the difficulties that you have had previously claiming PIP.  It is therefore best to focus on what your daily living and mobility needs are at the point of renewal/review.  

As you have posted you know what to expect now and this should give you a better understanding of the PIP system and how to navigate your way through it. You also have this forum for help.

Maria
    The Benefits Training Co:

• wildlife
    Options
    @Maria Thanks yes I do know what you're saying but i can't help repeating what I've said time and time again. My needs were NOT considered this time around especially for daily living. I won't go into detail as I've posted so much on here but, unless things are changed in the next 2 years it's incorrect to say they will consider how I am at the time of my review. Their desire to keep the number of people on PIP as low as possible is overriding making an honest decision using all the evidence and information provided to them.  

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.