Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
i am not sure if this is the correct space to introduce myself as a New member? But here goes, sorry for the rant, but it does help get it off my chest now and again.
Hi my name is tony i don’t want any sympathy, I just want to share my story, as we all have one. with all the following I did get from shopfloor to full company manager before I had to finally give up work six years ago, at 50 yrs old or young! my story so far to follow. After many years working in the foundry I had a so called straight forward discectomy on my lumber area. five days after the original op I was rushed to another hospital as they had damaged my spinal nerves, they tried to minimise the damage but was too late, after a few more operations I am worse than ever. I cannot even stand up, walk, twist, raise my arms, have hurendes painful spasm attacks that puts me in hospital as my body starts to go into shock because of the intensity of pain, my spine is so much more painfull than ever, I cannot sit in a normal position at all, so sitting up in my electric wheelchair is from zero up to approx 30 mins doped up. Also the nerve damage has caused internal problems such as bladder, bowels etc. my life now is laying on my bed in the bedroom and in my front room bed, that’s it. nurses every three months to keep an eye on things as I got a bed sore down to my heel bone that took 18 months and nurses every two days to fix. I have deteriated to this from the first op wich was 20 years ago now. But saying all this, I try to keep positive, but like most people I have been to the edge and back a few times in the twenty years, but my saviour is my amazing wife and my family. so I am looking at sharing in conversations and if possible with all my skills picked up working my way through company hiracy, to poss pass on advise or just to converse with anyone who may like to get into any discussions of any areas that like minded people would like to. I am always looking for new advice from others who may want to give it within the confines of my situation I now find myself in. thankyou Tony
- 52.9K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 148 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 756 Work and employment
- 574 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 276 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 263 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 673 Chronic pain and pain management
- 699 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 925 Mental health and wellbeing
- 297 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.