Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.


unicorn1066unicorn1066 Member Posts: 3 Listener
I GET ESA AT 188.00 Per week I have a private pension of 74.88 a month which is 18.72 per week can someone help me as I’m having 41.47 a week taken off my esa which is being reduced to 146.53 but they are taking more than I’m getting in pension surely this can’t be right 


  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,621 Disability Gamechanger

    Is your ESA contributory or means-tested? Could there be other deductions for

    - other income.

    - non-dependants.

    - overpayments.

    - fuel direct?

  • unicorn1066unicorn1066 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    I’m in the support group as am severely disabled it is ESA contributory I have no other income .
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi @unicorn1066  

    If there's no other reason for the deduction then it may well just be a clerical error on the part of the DWP - it happens. The amount is confusing though, as although some pensions have 10.00 disregarded, that still would not give that figure even if they thought the payments were weekly!

    You need to challenge this decision. If it was made in the last year, send in a Mandatory Reconsideration with evidence of your pension and bank statements (to show no other pensions) and they should change the decision. If it's been going on longer than that, then a complaint, with the same evidence and asking them to rectify the issue.

    If there is something going on that you're unaware of they will soon let you know!

    Kind regards,


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • unicorn1066unicorn1066 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you I will get back to them tomorrow will let you now the out come 
Sign in or join us to comment.