PIP home assessment confusion — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP home assessment confusion

Options
nicky123
nicky123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello Everyone.
 Just joined today as I’m fuming and need some lovely people who may have had possibly similar experiences. My son is 28 and has a terrible eye condition that severely affects his sight. He has people with him 24/7 to help him. Suffice to say he has had 3 operations already and is awaiting more. He also has hyper extended joints. Basically his knees, elbows, ankles, wrists, hips and shoulders dislocate regularly and cause extreme pain trying to replace them back In to position. He claims pip and his award isn’t up for review until November this year. He had a txt message on an adapted phone he uses for his sight at 20.08pm  to say that he had an assessment the following morning in another town over 20 miles away. I rung them and explained that we had no prior notice of this and that it was going to be an impossibility to get him there. The lady at the “New” Atos explained that I would be best talking to dwp about a home visit. Which I duly did and the gentleman I spoke to was lovely and understanding. Within a few days we had a very large print letter come stating that a home visit had been granted but as of yet no actual date. Unfortunately my sons hip dislocated which resulted in him falling down the stairs and I was unable to grab him quick enough. He has been staying at our home with us for a few days and I thought it best to let the “new” Atos people know that if they were to do a home visit in the very near future to come to our house as his best friend would be staying there for a few days to look after his dog while he was getting better with us. Then out of the blue today a knock at his door where his best friend is and low and behold a lady to do a pip assessment. Again no prior notice no txt message nothing just out of the blue. She said she was from pip to an assessment and his friend was oblivious as to what pip is so said I’m sorry but I don’t know what you mean. He phoned us to explain and obviously it then meant something to us and the penny dropped that they hadn’t taken into account my call to explain that he wasn’t going to be there. They hadn’t txt to remind or there were no letters !! I called both the “new” Atos people and the Dwp but to be honest no one cares !! They’ve said we will just have to wait and see what happens now in a few days when the lady makes a report as to her findings at my sons property. I’m worried sick for him now as it just seems like there is a mass of mis-communication at both departments. Will he now have his claim stopped. 
Sorry everyone I know it’s long winded but just worried for him. X

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @nicky123, and welcome to the community!

I'm so sorry to hear about this experience, it certainly sounds like a case of (very!) crossed wires on the admin side of things.

Do keep us updated and let us know the outcome: if worse comes to worse and he does have his claim stopped, you definitely have the grounds to appeal, and we'll do our best to advise you throughout this. For what it's worth, I hope the issue gets resolved as soon as possible and that your son recovers from his fall as quickly as possible too. 
  • nicky123
    nicky123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hello PippaScope. 
    Thank you for the warm welcome and taking the time to reply to me. I have to wait for a few days now before it shows on their system as to what they are going to do with his claim. But I will of course keep updating as I hear. Fingers crossed I don’t have to drag him half way round the South East for more assessments. 
    Many Thanks once again x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.