What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

National Insurance Contributions

KP1966KP1966 Member Posts: 8 Listener
Hello ...  I am not sure if you are the right avenue to go down for assistance, but 14, nearly 15 years ago, I was made redundant from my job along with my colleagues due the closure of the base we were working at.  Since then work life has been somewhat sporadic, in that I have found jobs that have just been short contracts and jobs that have not been good for me, or I for them ! This way of life was really affecting my health, and in 2016, I was "signed" off work by my GP and have been claiming ESA.  For a while before I was claiming JSA as I was looking for work, but as I say because of the effect on my health, this was when I decided enough was enough , and I had to stop work. My  question is... Obviously because of the gaps in employment , there are gaps in my NI contributions.  I have heard that these can be repaid. So... How would I go about doing this and how much would the payments be and how often?   Your help in this matter would be appreciated ... Thanks 

Replies

• mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Only worth it if...

- you think you may work for a further period and then want to reclaim ESA and make sure you have the NI to do so.

- you have some evidence your state retirement pension will fall short and you may not be entitled to Pension  Credit.
  • KP1966KP1966 Member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi Mike!

Thank you for your response. Good to meet you as it were. I don't envisage going back to work to be honest, given my past experiences. So maybe I will leave things as they are then! Thanks again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,756 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Thank you for that. I may do that! Thanks again 
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    KP1966KP1966,

I have nothing to add to the excellent advice from Victoria and MIke. 

For your retirement pension, you can check your contribution record very quickly on the gov.uk site. 

https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

That will also tell you how to make voluntary contributions if you wish to. I'd bear in mind that voluntary Class 3 contributions don't count towards any future ESA - but voluntary Class 2 contributions (if you were self-employed), can. 

All voluntary contributions count for your retirement pension.

If you are getting contributory ESA now, it will last for 52 weeks unless you are in the support group, when it will last indefinitely. 

Hope this helps.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
    Thank you Will I will make a note of the link you gave me and check it out. And yes I am in the support group! Thanks again 
Sign in or join us to comment.