Pip assessment 16year old — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Pip assessment 16year old

jan67 Member Posts: 7 Listener
edited February 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi. I’m writing on behalf of my friend who has just received medical assessment for her 16yr old son with capita. We wrote on his pip form he wouldn’t be able to attend assessment due to his lack of self confidence caused by all his conditions. The main one is his lqt syndrome heart complaint. The strand he has is triggered by stress which can lead to irregular heart beat and possible cardiac arrest. His two siblings plus his mother all have same condition. She had to purchase two defibs to carry everywhere they go. He also is suffering from migranes and has speech impairment (stutter). He is curtently being monitored for possible me after contracting virus last yr. he spends so much time sleeping it has badly effected his school work. Could anyone advise where we go from here to try to prevent attending medical or if we requested it at his home could his mother speak on his behalf if he was there and didn’t want to answer questions. He is struggling with life last 6 months partly to do with his tiredness and his restrictions on social life due to heart complaint. He is not allowed to swim, play contact sports or involved in anything were he has to exhert himself. Limited to cinema at present but falls asleep during film. We are all at our wits end. Thanks for any tip or advise. 


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jan67

    What a stressful time for you all :(

    In the PIP assessment guide, it says:

    Companions at consultations Claimants have a right to be accompanied to a face-to-face consultation if they so wish. Claimants should be encouraged to bring another person with them to consultations where they would find this helpful – for example, to reassure them or to help them during the consultation. The person chosen is at the discretion of the claimant and might be, but is not limited to, a parent, family member, friend, carer or advocate.

    Consultations should predominantly be between the HP and the claimant. However, the companions may play an active role in helping claimants answer questions where the claimant or HP wishes them to do so. HPs should allow a companion to contribute and should record any evidence they provide. This may be particularly important where the claimant has a mental, cognitive or intellectual impairment.

    In such cases the claimant may not be able to give an accurate account of their health condition or impairment, through a lack of insight or unrealistic expectations of their own ability. In such cases it will be essential to get an accurate account from the companion.

    So it sounds like your friend's son will have to be present and attempt to speak if possible and your friend should be able to be present.

    You can request a home assessment and on occasion the decision can be made by the paper application alone.

    On receipt of a referral from DWP, the HP should conduct an initial review of the case file to determine whether:
    • Further evidence is needed
    • The claim can be assessed on the basis of the paper evidence held at this point (a ‘paper-based review’)
    • A face-to-face consultation will be required. –If the HP decides that this is required, they should also determine any difficulties the claimant may have attending a consultation and any reasonable adjustments which need to be put in place (home visit, BSL interpreter, ground floor consultation room, accessibility toilet) 
    I havent heard of anyone being exempt from a PIP assessment due to lack of self confidence and if he is attending school then it would seem unlikely.

    Best of luck to you all though, do let us know how you get on.
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,508 Disability Gamechanger
    For a home assessment you'll need a letter from his GP stating the reasons why this is needed. You can only cancel an appointment once so bear this in mind when ringing them and make sure the next appointment is suitable.

    If the child has an appointee then the appointee can speak on their behalf during the assessment but the claimant must attend as well. If there's no appointee then they will only be able to be prompted and will have to answer all questions theirself.

  • jan67
    jan67 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Thanks everyone. Ringing capita tomorrow. May not be able to get dr letter as it’s impossible to get appointment at short notice unless urgent. Will update you tomorrow. Jan
  • jan67
    jan67 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi. Does anyone know the ‘rules’ about recording medical assessments. I know you need two dictaphone devises. But what sort of notice do you giv capita for it to be ‘legal’ 
  • jan67
    jan67 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Sorry I didn’t mention I had assessment b4 Christmas The report had 14 points where the assessor lied. Needless to say I was put on lower award for both care and mobility. Mr made no difference and I am now goin to tribunal. I lost out in 2 points on my mobility therefore have lost my mobility car. I have put in stage 1 offical complaint to capita over two weeks ago with no response. It was purely down to report why I failed. This is why my friend is being so cautious about her sons assessment. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.