Waiting for assessment results — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Waiting for assessment results

ianloynes1
ianloynes1 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited February 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi 
I have been on universal credit for 14 months now , have problems with my hands so am awaiting more after one operation, they never informed me of the work capacity until November last year. I complained about this and the person in Canterbury who is in charge of my account.
once a month I take a note from my doctors to the work coach and up date him on my progress, including operations, he’s typing away and you would think that he is tying what you are updating him about.
but no this is not the case, so when I complained they said that they not received any information regarding my treatment in that time and she was completely right in her actions, mainly not informing me of the increased money I would be able to get through the work capacity scheme.
i am now awaiting the result of the assessment which was four weeks ago, so how long will they take and what are the chances of backdating the money they owe me?
i

Comments

• Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Hi @ianloynes1, welcome to the community.

It sounds like you have had a frustrating experience with this! Hopefully our benefits advisor will be able to offer some support soon.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi ianloynes1,

A client of mine recently had a decision within 4 weeks, I guess the backlog of work is different all over the country and each assessor make take differing amounts of time to submit their report so it's impossible to say how much longer you should have to wait to be honest.
    You will only be entitled to some extra money if you are put in the support group. This group is for people who are unlikely to be able to work for a long time or ever again. The descriptors for the support group are very specific and it is a difficult group to get into, but it is possible. If they put you in the work-related activity group or if they say you are fit for work you won't be entitled to any extra money unless you appeal and win. Hope it goes well for you.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• ianloynes1
    Hi 
    my claim started before April of last year so have been told by them I will get it back dated so don’t know what groups you are talking about , my claim started in December 2016 

ian 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    As you're claim was before April 2017 if you're successfully put into either of the 2 groups your money will be backdated to week 14 of your claim.

You can ask for a copy of the assessment report. This will give you some idea what the decision will be as mostly they go with that report. Goodluck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ianloynes1
    Thank you but I was told if I’m successful it will be backdated to week one ???
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi @ianloynes1

Without a backdating request, I would be surprised if the DWP backdate further than the time you started assessment for Limited Capability for Work - however if it was accepted that you always had Limited Capability for Work-Related Activity (i.e. met the criteria for the Support Group) - then it may be possible to backdate on the basis that (as you say) you should have been assessed for LCW much sooner.

Unfortunately, as Lee says above, very few actually make it to the Support Group, and if you're not assessed to the support group there will be no change in your payments and no backpay.

Is it the DWP who have advised you that the LCWA will be fully backdated, as a result of your complaint?..

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

• ianloynes1
    edited February 2018
    Yes it is the people I have spoken to have said if I get the award it will be backdated 
    they did not put me forward for the assessment till November when I started the claim the December before, so I’m a waiting for an answer because it was before the April cut ff point.

also can you please stop sending my details to any mailing lists I’m getting phon calls and texts since you have my mobile number 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ianloynes1

We do not give any of your details to other companies, also we don't take your phone number when you register, we don't have those details.

You can read more about our privacy statement here.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.