Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

ESA SUPPORT GROUP REVIEWS

dee4848dee4848 Member Posts: 218 Pioneering
Hi does anyone know roughly how often support group gets reviewed .thanks 

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    They can review as oten as they want to, there's not exactly any timescales. I've heard people being reviewed every 6 months and i've also heard people not being reviewed in 5 years. If you want to know when you review is likely to be then give ESA a ring.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • dee4848dee4848 Member Posts: 218 Pioneering
    edited February 2018
    Yes thankyou iv done that today.
  • danni1998danni1998 Member Posts: 1 Listener
    hi im currantly on esa support group,but wondered if there are any meetings held that are of your choice,as an anxitey sufferer my illness worsens when appointments are set.by choice making it easier to attend
    @danni1998 Hi i was automatically put on ESA ..do you have a f2f with them all the time?
  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,294 Disability Gamechanger
    @danni1998, I had a f2f pip then an acessment was arranged for ESA when I rang about transport I was told no need to attend deceisson had been made to put me in support group. So DWP may have acess to recent pip acessments to make such a decision..
    @danni1998 Hi yes I think same dreading the post 
  • whistleswhistles Member Posts: 1,590 Disability Gamechanger
    When I got moved from Income Support to ESA, it just happened and that was that.
    Since then I have had one f2f visit at home to check I was receiving everything I should be.
    I didn't class that as a review because naively sorry I didn't even know what group I was in, what benefits were out there etc. So I just thought it was checking up on people in relation to fraud!!!  
    That was three years ago and I haven't heard from them since and I still don't fully understand what I get either. 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
    edited February 2018
    Iv been on ESA since 2013 but I'm just waiting for that dreaded envelope because iv just been awarded pip 
  • lillybellelillybelle Member Posts: 458 Pioneering
    I’m in the support group. Have been since finishing work 4 yrs ago.
    now that I’m going through pip . 
    Low and behold- I’ve now got to go for an assessment for Esa.
    Hopefully with uncontrolled epilepsy with a referral back to a neurologist in June plus a back injury, I’m hoping and praying things will go okay
    edited February 2018
    @lilybelle Hi this is why I'm expcting it , so have you had a decision on pip ?
    I’m afraid not yet. Has been 2 weeks since assessment. I’ve asked for copy which they said they would send a copy when they get it.
    How was your Pip result, are you happy ?
    I don’t care what they say the two are definately connected
  • thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello I just need to tell you.  Always do a review on new information.  New circumstances.

That's how I am reassessed every 18 months for the last twenty years plus.  I am now on ESA support group, hopefully the same now.

Sent supporting letter to DWP. Because every 18 months one assessment says I am fit, 18 months later unfit.  Then back around again.  Intervention by Mental Health Charity.

Still poised by phone most Fridays as they used to ring.

Plus any brown envelope get anxiety over.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
    @lillybelle yes I got an invite from DLA to PIP went from High care and low mobility to Enhanced daily and Enhanced mobility , and I agree all conncted 
    @thespiceman hi so if pip is a change from DLA could I be reviewed for ESA? 
    That’s great Dee4848.
    and by the sounds of it the answer is yes
    I hope you get what you feel you deserve @lilybelle its' nerve racking 
    edited February 2018
    I found this and I hope it's ok to link.
    http://www.dosh.org/benefit-changes-2017-18/ 

If you scroll near the bottom it talks about a premium.
    ESA-
    " To be entitled to a premium you need to be in the Support Group or be getting a certain level of DLA/PIP, along with other conditions."

So this is the link? If your DLA/PIP changes then they look at whether you qualify for that premium?
    @whistles thankyou for the link il shall have a look which premium I get tomorrow .
    edited February 2018
    @whistles now I'm conused it says in the Support Group you need to be getting certain levels of DLA or PIP so I get the Support Group component so now iv been giving high on both components of pip could my ESA go up to the severe disabled premium ? 

It could do. I get something that isn't called a premium but a guarantee. So more confused as no mention on the websites of this. But maybe it's the same thing? 
    edited February 2018
    hmm it' so very confusing but no doubt il get to know , Thankyou @whistles
  • colcolcolcol Member Posts: 2 Listener
    I’m in the support group. Have been since finishing work 4 yrs ago.
    now that I’m going through pip . 
    Low and behold- I’ve now got to go for an assessment for Esa.
    Hopefully with uncontrolled epilepsy with a referral back to a neurologist in June plus a back injury, I’m hoping and praying things will go okay

• colcolcolcol Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi there are you aware you can request a home visit for your ESA I had to gp to my gp and ask him to write me a letter 
    Yes, I had a home visit with pip assessment ( not asked for)
    this one is at the centre where I had my other f2f 4 yrs ago.
    the 1st appointment was 9.15am. I rang up and changed it to an afternoon appointment the next day.
     So can’t change again.
    Hubby will be with me as I can’t go out on my own ( safety reasons) 
    however im going to ring up and enquire about a recording interview if they have their own equipment
    Hello @dee4848 Good morning how are you?  Please can I say to your question about the support group ESA.  DWP decide it is all based on evidence.

Supply new evidence as I have said.  Any changes no matter how small.  Inform them, might review your benefit.

Criteria means you supply good clear evidence.  Spent a lot of time.  Years and years in WRAG group.  Which is means you have to do job searches and the rest.

This is what I believe the DWP have the power to decide not you.  Yes there are advantages.  You get extra premium.  Also do not have to be bothered by Job centre.

Although you can do volunteering if you wish.  My own personal experience you have to inform Job centre.  I not volunteer now, if only because could go against you for any assessments in my opinion.

Has been mentioned at several assessments I have had, then told to be declared fit.  Sign on again.

All benefits what ever you get are subject to review.  My suggestion keep all evidence, letters from Doctors and medical professionals.

I have had friends who get PIP or the DLA plus ESA .  Some have severe mental health issues.  They would never really get reviewed.  One friend I asked because of my situation.  I have this just get letter saying.

More suggestions would be to look at websites and other benefit related ones.  Works and Benefits excellent to look at.  Has the real inside story what the hell is going on.  Regarding all benefits.  The knowledge you gain means you are one up for yourself.

Look at Disabilty News as well lots of stuff there to help knowledge wise on line.

I say I am not an expert but I am getting there.  Even I do not know everything.  Impartial benefit helplines and organisations can help you.  Welfare rights.

Hope you just keep tuned here a lot of info as well.

Take care

Community Champion
    Recipes
    I would think going through a PIP assessment and giving them the evidence those changes auto flag up the ESA. 
    Anyone on ESA your DLA is on the same letter and is not taken into account but it's there in black and white, they do know if you get it. :-) 
    edited March 2018
    @whistles & @Thespiceman yes I got a letter the other ay From ESA how it' worked out and says Pip is not counted so yes they know I'm getting PIP now ....thankyou i will look at the info you provided 
  • Government_needs_reformGovernment_needs_reform Member Posts: 858 Pioneering
    edited March 2018
    Also to add again I have posted regarding sharing information with ESA & PIP/DLA?

It is and always has been connected.. I was on DLA & my ESA assesment was also used in making my DLA decision and it states it on my DLA that ESA was used for a decision. 

Im now on PIP & ESA SG.

You can clearly read what is a fact here. This is done any many situations, ie vica versa.

We all full well know information is shared within this system. 
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

@Governments_A_Joke Thankyou for this and yes I'm sure il be hearing soon aswel and I agree with your user name.
    I was about to put what's SG, then realised. 
    I was already on DLA when the ESA was brought in, so I didn't have an assessment that people are talking about.
    @whistles yes I was too and I haven' had an assessent YET
    When the PIP Award arrives I will ring ESA and ask them if my benefit is going to change. it's easier than just sitting and waiting. 
    Will do. 
    No idea how it takes ten days to print and post a letter, but it does.

Just a thought to anyone filling in PIP,  it takes up to ten days to get the forms, up to seven days for them to process the other way, so you only get TWO weeks to do them. If this is all happening at Christmas and New Year it's at best awkward and worst really unfair timing!
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    You can get a two week extension by ringing them

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • stevenheatherstevenheather Member Posts: 23 Listener
    Thank you all for your help and advise
    its so nice to know people are there and I don’t feel so alone

dont think I could face a 1to 1 interview at the moment but maybe on a good day

thank you all again and I will wait my firm and think I will take it to the dwp to help me fill it in as I have been warned not to panic when it arrives as it’s rather large

thanks 

steve
    Wait for my form
    I have all the MRI evidence also mental health unit and open road also doctors for them to contact
    Hello @stevenheather   Please may I suggest any forms consider either CAB for filling out any forms.

Help and advice.  Have knowledge and expertise. Other options are speak to support workers, health workers if that helps.

I use CAB spent two hours recent PIP form . Two ladies from the bureau local to me. Helped me .

One of my tips is to do a draft of answers.  Your health history.  Everything about you what you can and can not do.

According to the guidelines in the booklet to the benefit concerned. Either ESA or PIP.

Take down to the bureau with them assisting to fill it in with the drafts answers and descriptors.

Offered me suggestions on how to word everything.  What to put in besides my answers and anything else.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes successful outcome.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
    Thank you for your advise 
    all welcome as this seems a mine field and I am not strong enough to fight any desision 
    Hi,

What benefit is this for please, ESA or PIP?
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    Hi
    i have today just received my pip claims form

it looks very scary but guess not if broken down 
    i have been on esa for about 5 years
    Going to see Peabody drop in centre tomorrow to get help filling in the form
    Form filled out but now very anxious going to send it tomorrow 
    Don't forget to send your evidence with the form because they rarely contact anyone for this. Good luck.
    Thanks poppy
    Sending with it
    prescription list
    latest mental health unit letter about med changes

the only other stuff I have is dated 2013 /14 when first back op and 2016 2nd back nerve block just letter 2

nothing much about my mental health

fo you think 2013/14 letters will be any good as it’s when my condition started

thanks
    steve

• Government_needs_reformGovernment_needs_reform Member Posts: 858 Pioneering
    Any evidence no matter how old it is, I've sent stuff that's over 15 years old in, as long as it still relates and fits in with your condition (s) now you will be fine.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

Yes, i agree send the evidence regardless of how old it is.
    Thank you for your help

its hard to find any evidence 
    the ones I got was when in hospital I took some pictures of my file they leave in your room

where else would I look ?

thanks again

what a great site
    I’m not sure pictures of a file will help. Does your GP have anything in your medical records you can use? Can you ask someone that knows you well to write a letter of support stating how your conditions affect you?
    Thanks poppy
    sent it now
    not been good for a few days now and really find motivation hard and trying to fight off pain and depression 

• Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    I really hope today is a better one for you, @stevenheather.
Sign in or join us to comment.