Need help to begin working again — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Need help to begin working again

deb74 Member Posts: 777 Pioneering
edited February 2018 in Work and employment
hi. i have am on pip due to arthritis and a other long term health conditions. i was on esa because i had an operation on my shoulder but before christmas i was asked to go for an assesment and was taken off esa as i was told i was well enough to work. i have now had to go on jsa. i am only the lower rate of pip. i was wondering what help was available to me when i start working again as i am only able to work part time


  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @deb74, and welcome to the community! Great to have you here.

    I've moved your post into our ask an employment advisor category, where somebody will hopefully be along soon to offer guidance on your transition back to work.
  • Mwila_Scope
    Mwila_Scope Scope Support to Work service Posts: 52 Pioneering
    Hi @deb74

    Hope you're well and many thanks for your question!
    Sorry to hear about your situation. 
    If you do go into work, and are on a low income there is a range of financial assistance available to help you make ends meet.
    Working Tax Credits  is money provided to boost the income of working people who are on a  low income. In order to qualify for WTC you must;
    • get payment for the work you do 
    • work a certain number of hours a week, the number of hours you have to work depend on your circumstances for instance your age, health, family responsibilities.
    • have income below a certain level- this will depend on your circumstances and the elements of working tax credits you are entitled to
    If you work less than 16 hours a week you may also still entitled to JSA.

    I would recommend you carry out a benefit calculation HERE, which will be able specify exactly what support you may be entitled to as this is dependent on your personal circumstances.

    If you do feel you need some support & advice in getting back into employment, Scope's Support to Work is a brand new employment service, which provides support and advice to disabled people looking for work. the service is digital which means you don't have to travel to speak to an employment adviser as all the appointments are carried out via telephone, email, text or Skype.
    if you would like to find out more or register your interest, you can give us a call on; 0300 222 5742 or email at [email protected]
    Hope that helps.

    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: [email protected]
  • deb74
    deb74 Member Posts: 777 Pioneering
    thanks for the advice i will check it out


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.