Carers allowance and universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Carers allowance and universal credit

Beenah Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)

Can someone help me with the following any advice would be much appreciated. My husband cares for me as i have MS, he gets carers allowance. We have spoken to Universal Credit about what happens to this component, they informs us that they take the full amount of carers allowance from the amount we will be getting off the Universal Payment. They used to do this with my ESA payment take the full carers allowance also. Is there anything we can do regarding this issues with them taken the full amount from our Universal Credit payment. 


  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Beenah and welcome to the community. I am glad you found us :smile:
    I'm not qualified to give you an answer on this one, but I wanted to say hello and to let you know that others with greater knowledge will be in touch with you. The best I can do myself is to listen, and that I will always do.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Beenah

    You can do an online benefit check or contact your local advice centre.

    I found this info on the entitled to website.

    If you and/or your partner care for a severely disabled adult or severely disabled child for 35 hours a week or more, and you are eligible for Universal Credit, you may qualify for extra money called the Carer element. The severely disabled person doesn't have to be living with you but must be getting one of the following:
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Constant Attendance Allowance
    • Disability Living Allowance (at either middle or higher rate care component)
    • Personal Independence Payment (at either standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component)
    These requirements are also known as the Carer Test. If you meet them, you will be in the no work-related requirements group.
    If you don't meet them, your Claimant Commitment may still be adjusted to show the caring responsibilities you have.

    Carer's Allowance
    Carer's Allowance is a separate benefit from Universal Credit. You don't need to be getting Carer's Allowance to get the Carer element of Universal Credit.

    If you are waiting for a decision or payment on a claim for Carer's Allowance you can still get the Carer element. You may not get the Carer element if your claim for Carer's Allowance is refused.
    Carer's Allowance will be taken fully into account (in other words each £1 of Carer's Allowance will reduce your Universal Credit payment by £1) when working out your Universal Credit.

    If your Carer's Allowance stops because you are working and earning over £116 a week, you may still get the Carer element.

    Senior online community officer


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.