Urgent help needed UC50 form and assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Urgent help needed UC50 form and assessment

Daniel30 Member Posts: 3 Listener
edited February 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
hi I'm new to the benefits system and would really appreciate some advice so thankyou in advance.
i was diagnosed with anxiety and depression in April 2017 after suffering for some years, I won't go into to much detail but I was prescribed anti depressants in April 2017 and was signed off not fit for work by the doctor in September 2017, I then applied for universal credit in November, I have been house bound for the majority of the last 6 months I am in such a bad place mentally I have severe anxiety with frequent panic attacks and bouts of depression, the anti depressants has helped with deprpression but has done nothing for my anxiety, I have had a trial of beta blockers but my heart palpitations seemed to worsen over the weeks they where stopped, I started seeing a phsychiatrist in October who I have had 8 sessions with, she has advised that we stop CBT sessions for the time being until my symptoms calm down which are persistent, I have been going to a group therapy CBT course after being referred by my doctor, have missed a few sessions as I was unable to leave the house, I have been seeing my gp every other week and she is providing me with sick notes from September to present, which I have provided at the job center, luckily my work coach is very friendly and understanding so I have not had to engage in any work related activity, I was sent a UC50 form in the post last month and went to see a benefits adviser and he filled in the form for me (pretty quickly) I read it and didn't feel like anything he had put reflected my condition so I printed off another form and done it with my mum who was meant to post it as it was due a few weeks ago, I thought it had been sent but my mum told me she forgot to post it and it's been in her car for the last 3 weeks! Yesterday in the post I received an assessment date confirmation even though I haven't sent the questionnaire back? Now after scouring the Internet I'm scared that I havent filled in the form properly and might not get enough points! Shall I still post the questionnaire back or shall I wait for the assessment? I'm really worried about the assesment now as I'm always missing appointments what if I miss it? And am I allowed to take some one with me I don't think I could do it alone,
so far I have been awarded the standard allowance, and one bedroom at £62 per week, my rent is £650 per month with all bills included and I live in a 3 bedroom house, my mum stays with me 4 nights plus a week for support as I have been suicidle and unable to look after myself, should I be entitled to 2 bedrooms as the rent element I'm getting nowhere near covers my rent, its very stressful and I feel very guilty about all the stress I'm putting on my family, I put half of my allowance towards rent this month and still didn't have enough, and am in £6,000 rent arrears because I've had no income since April 2017, they backdated my allowance to end of November and I provided fit notes dated back to September, and they have just informed me that they are not able to back date my rent even though they back dated my allowance, I had a note through on universal credit online saying that my back dated claim had been awarded at the time of receiving the allowance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thankyou x


  • Daniel30
    Daniel30 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi is there any advisers that could help me I'm really struggling to cope Im hearing horrible loud repeating words in my head and I'm very agitated I'm not sure if my last post makes sense is there anyone who can help please
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Daniel30, and welcome to the community! Thank you for sharing this with us and I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling agitated: the process can be really difficult, but I hope that we can help you.

    Our benefits advisors, who will be best placed to help you with this, receive a huge number of enquires and so it often takes a little while for them to get to your post. You mentioned you had an appointment come through, do you have a date for this? 

    It sounds like you're also struggling with your mental health, are you receiving support for this at the moment? It's great that you have your mum to support you, and hopefully our advisors will be able to offer some guidance as soon as they can. 
  • Daniel30
    Daniel30 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi pippa thanks for your reply I've been struggling with my mental health severely for the last 2 years, before that I new I always had anxiety but I could cope. I am receiving therapy and personal support from a local mental health charity, I have a date for the work capability assesment it is next month, I'm a bit confused why I've had an assesment date so quickly it seems some people wait forever for one, especially since they haven't had the wca form back.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    edited February 2018
    Hi Daniel30, 

    Firstly, you should send that completed form back asap as this is your account of how your problems affect you. It is late, but the DWP can't and won't make a decision until they have received the assessment providers report, and by the time that has happened your form could be with them and should be part of the evidence that the DWP uses to make the decision. You are allowed to take someone with you for support and if you contact them soon enough you could ask that your interview is recorded. If you rent allowance is not covering your rent you can contact your Local Authority and ask for a DHP (Discretionary Housing Payment). This is for people who have a shortfall in their rent and cannot afford to pay it, although it is only supposed to be a short-term temporary solution to buy you some time to figure what to do when your DHP ends. You may be able to get an extra bedroom paid for if you are a person who requires overnight care and can demonstrate that. Please have a read of this link to see if it will assist you:


    You may want to contact a benefits adviser in your local area who can give you practical assistance with these queries.


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.