Was I wrongfully dismissed? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Was I wrongfully dismissed?

Options
Catman
Catman Community member, Scope Member Posts: 64 Courageous
I lost my position with GKN Aerospace in Filton, Bristol where I worked as a Skilled Fitter back in August 2015. I attended a 'Welfare meeting' as I was out sick again due to Fibromyalgia. At that meeting I was given a choice, take severance pay or face a final hearing over a quality issue. Management at that stage were putting me under increasing pressure to up my work out -put and were not interested in hearing how my illness affected me. This stress combined with my illness made it hard for me to fulfill what management expected of me. They didn't try to redeploy me or make sufficient (reasonable) adjustments that would have helped me, though they did allow me to work two days, have a day off then work another two days to fulfill the hours they wanted me to work. I'd been on a phased return to work for many months and was told I was expected to return to full hours within a couple of months otherwise my job was at risk. 

I feel that GKN could have done a lot more for me and since then, my health has deteriorated, perhaps in part as a result of being pressurised to leave. I had only a few days to consider my options and don't feel that the Union or GKN were supportive enough. 

Please can you advise if there is anything I can do as I feel so badly let down. Surely GKN have failed to truly take into account my disability and the affects it has on me. 

Many thanks in advance. 

Comments

• AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 224 Pioneering
    Options
    Sorry to hear this @Catman

I'm afraid we can't offer legal advice on your situation but if you think your employer discriminated against you because you are disabled, you should contact the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS).

ACAS provides information, advice, training, conciliation and other services for employers and employees to help prevent or resolve workplace problems. You can call their helpline on 08457 47 47 47 for free and confidential advice. If you’re thinking about lodging an Employment Tribunal claim, you will need to contact ACAS.

If you feel that you have experienced disability discrimination in any of the above forms and you wish to talk to someone about how to tackle the issues, contact the Equality Advisory Support Service freephone helpline on 0808 800 0082, which can advise and assist you on issues relating to equality and human rights but do not have the resources to give specific legal advice.

Best wishes, Alex

• Catman
    Catman Community member, Scope Member Posts: 64 Courageous
    Options
    Thank-you so very much for your helpful and speedy reply Alex. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.