Motability - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Motability

Comments

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Who gives you the 2000 towards a bea car.
    Who do you see if you didnt gst it
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Misscleo The money is given to you if you have a motobility car.  Have not got higher rate of PIP.

Motobility gives you the payment.

Called transitional package.  Certain conditions apply.  If you entered the scheme before January 2013.  Give the car back without appealing.  Car back with in 8 weeks.  You get that £2000.

You can keep car 26 weeks only get £500.

Other payments entered scheme after January 2013 up to December 2013.  £1000. As above 8 weeks no appeal.  Car back as 26 weeks only £250.

Finally entered scheme January 1st 2014.  Payment £250.

Hope that helps

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Many thanks spiceman ill pass that on
  • sdoc94
    sdoc94 Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    Hi all,

Just wanted to share some information on Motability advance payments. The reasons for the sometimes impractical advance payments are due to demand in a lot of cases. For example a standard Seat Leon could set you back £999, but the 2 litre rocketship FR model Leon is Nil advance. Similar to the petrol cars having almost always Nil payment - diesels are a lot higher due to demand.

This has come from various dealers first hand - but do not blame the dealer. Manufacturers set the Motability prices e.g. Ford, Seat, Audi etc
    Shady.
  • apb123
    apb123 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited February 2020
    I have recently become disabled. I have a car but have looked at the Motability scheme rules.and am thinking of switching to a Motability car because it is so much cheaper.. I have a different view in that it is unbelievably generous. We have a disability..but I don't understand why that entitles us to a totally free car including insurance tax and breakdown insurance. I have done a bit more research and this is the most generous scheme by a long way in the western world.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    apb123 said:
    I have recently become disabled. I have a car but have looked at the Motability scheme rules.and am thinking of switching to a Motability car because it is so much cheaper.. I have a different view in that it is unbelievably generous. We have a disability..but I don't understand why that entitles us to a totally free car including insurance tax and breakdown insurance. I have done a bit more research and this is the most generous scheme by a long way in the western world.

HI and welcome,

It's not completely free. Firstly you need to be claiming a disability benefit either DLA high rate mobility or PIP Enhanced mobility. If you claim either of those then you can exchange that award for a mobility vehicle and your mobility payments will be used for the vehicle and be paid to motability. If you don't claim either of those then you won't be able to use the scheme.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    edited February 2020
    I agree that it is not entirely free but when you compare the costs including servicing, tyres etc plus the insurance premium with a privately obtained lease Motability will always come out cheaper. Personally I don't see why it should but it does. Being disabled does not by itself mean that people are poorer than those that are not disabled. And as regards having an automatic gearbox this option will almost always increase the cost of the car when compared to a manual one. Someone will have to cover the extra hence why the AP is generally always that much higher. You get what you pay for.
    As an example a BMW X1 through Motability will cost including the AP £10820.00  inclusive of all running costs apart from fuel for the full 3 years. The same car through a BMW lease it will cost £18611.65 excluding car insurance and servicing.
    I have never understood why the disabled should get such brilliant deals.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    I don't agree with the Motability scheme at all.

I get higher rate mobility PIP but I don't believe that this should quailfy me for a 'free' car anymore than anyone else ...

One of the reasons that it appears very generous is that some people don't take into account - either intentionally or unintentionally - that the car is only for the benefit of the claimant. It's not for other members of your family or friends to use to go to work, or to the hairdressers - they need their own car for that...

Personally I'd scrap it - in the interest of being fair to everyone. There's nothing to stop anyone - myself included - using their benefits to buy, or get a car on a hire deal.

• poppy123456
    cristobal said:

Personally I'd scrap it - in the interest of being fair to everyone. There's nothing to stop anyone - myself included - using their benefits to buy, or get a car on a hire deal.

I have to disagree with this sorry. Not everyone can get finance for a car, so the motability scheme is a life saver for a lot of people.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I am also having problems much the same. I am on my third Motability vehicle and, although they are supposed to be changed after 3 years I have been forced to extend them to almost 5 in order to cope with the up-front cost.

As my disability is mostly down to pain from the hips down I need an automatic and also one high off the ground to avoid as much bending as possible. The first one was a Puegot 3008 and was fine at the time as I could lift my old wheelchair in and out of the boot. However, after a couple of years I had to get a much lighter chair due to my degeneration and that alone cost me over £500. The upfront cost was £750 and was, as you say, more than a manual would have cost. When I had to change this I not only had to carry a wheelchair but also I needed a hoist and a scooter so this time I needed a larger vehicle (an MPV) and went for a Renault.Whilst the hoist was very cheap (£200) the scooter had to be folding and was very, very expensive. Plus, the up-front cost more than doubled to £1600. I did get a rebate of £375 for looking after the old one well but I only managed the cost thanks to getting help from Mum. Just before Xmas I finally had stretched the Renault as far as I could. I still needed everything as before plus now I also needed hand controls. I looked at the Renault but it was nearly £2600, so I went for a Puegot Rifter at £2400 (rebate £800 from the Renault). The hoist only cost £150 and the hand controls nothing at all. Still finding £1750 plus having to pay the £800 before waiting a couple of weeks for the rebate pushed me dreadfully and I only had enough because I am living on the money Mum left me when she died. Even if I am capable of driving next time I see absolutely no way of affording another as I will be back on benefits or old age pension by then. There is also the complication of reaching retirement age in 2.5 years time and I have no understanding how that might affect my situation especially as I will have to be assessed for PIP again before retirement.

Without the car I can go nowhere at all, not even to a local Co-op store and, as I am currently being refused reasonable levels of medication, even now I can only go out for brief amounts of time as I have to use more medication than I am supposed to. I have been housebound for 2 years and came off some strong medication (Fentanyl) which started that situation. I have discovered a temporary solution that reduces the pain considerably but the GP's refuse point blank to put me back on the Fentanyl for a few months so I can go out occasionally, even if it's once a fortnight. Later this year I will be completely wheelchair bound and, from memory, a vehicle suitable for carrying a person in a wheelchair requires an upfront cost of £3,000 to £4,000 just for the lowest models.

I was hoping to be a little more mobile for a 4 or 5 years but now it seems inevitable that I will be bed-bound in 3 years at most and probably sooner. Considering how old my relatives have been before death it appears I could be bed-bound for 25 years, maybe more. Although I have 3 grown up children I have been extremely disappointed by their ongoing refusal to help me in any way at all.

And people wonder why I suffer suicidal tendencies.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • skullcap
    edited February 2020
    cristobal said:
    I don't agree with the Motability scheme at all.

I get higher rate mobility PIP but I don't believe that this should quailfy me for a 'free' car anymore than anyone else ...

One of the reasons that it appears very generous is that some people don't take into account - either intentionally or unintentionally - that the car is only for the benefit of the claimant. It's not for other members of your family or friends to use to go to work, or to the hairdressers - they need their own car for that...

I too get the enhanced rate of mobility but refuse to entertain Motability simply because they do not have the vehicles that I would want. I don't think that the restriction you mention makes any difference. With a private vehicle it is generally only insured for the registered keeper. Putting more people on the policy would normally increase the premium. With Motability I believe that up to 3 people can be insured to drive the car at no extra cost. As for someone using a Motability car for their own benefit other than for the person who obtained the contract is very much a grey area. What constitutes 'for the benefit'? Is it someone using the car to go to and from work as the argument could be that the money they earn could be 'for the benefit'. As mentioned earlier however I am aware that the DVLA would require a lot more evidence as many are prosecuted for driving a Motability car that isn't their's. Not in accordance with the Road Tax as well as the insurance policy.

I do agree with you that it should be on a level playing field that the disabled and non disabled should have to pay the same across the board.
  • skullcap

I have to disagree with this sorry. Not everyone can get finance for a car, so the Motability scheme is a life saver for a lot of people.
    So what you are saying is that people who have got themselves into financial difficulties should be offered a lifeline over those that budget their money better? Doesn't this send the wrong message?
  • poppy123456
    skullcap said:

I have to disagree with this sorry. Not everyone can get finance for a car, so the Motability scheme is a life saver for a lot of people.
    So what you are saying is that people who have got themselves into financial difficulties should be offered a lifeline over those that budget their money better? Doesn't this send the wrong message?

That is not what i said and i have no idea why you assumed this. I won't get into a debate with you about this and i will make no further comments. I've said what i wanted and there's nothing further to add.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Motability rules regarding drivers is as follows. The main driver and an alternate driver can be stated with no additional cost. Adding a third specific driver does have a cost though I am unsure of the actual figure. In addition it is possible to add up to 6 temporary drivers at no additional cost for periods of 30 days or less (I think, not certain about the 30 days but it is specified in the insurance documents), so that people like carers can drive the person about if necessary. ALL drivers permanent and temporary must have a level of driving experience and an age appropriate to the class of vehicle being insured. For larger vehicles such as MPV's or with an HP rating above a certain number then drivers must be 25 or over and have 4 or 5 years driving experience and preferably have a clean-ish licence.

The first criteria defining "for the benefit of" is that (like Blue Badges) the car owner is actually in the car. The second criteria is that it can be used without the owner to do such things as shopping runs but it must only begin and end at the owners property. What is not allowed is for a driver to use it for ANYTHING that is of benefit to themselves unless no deviation from the 2 previous points occurs. So getting shopping, for example, for the driver if the same shops are used for the owner is permissible. Going to half-a-dozen shops of which only one is needed for the owner is not permissible. It is absolutely NOT permissible for the driver to use a Motbaility vehicle for ANY work related purposes.

Obviously many people abuse this system almost as much as Blue Badges are abused as it is difficult to prove or disprove such usage exactly.

All Motability vehicle are financed on a 3 year lease which can be extended to a maximum of 5 years depending on situation and mileage.

The original intention was to supply modified vehicles and / or large electric scooters to the disabled community at subsidized costs due to the high cost of many adaptions but I believe that now most cars are not modified due to the sheer number of people receiving high rate DLA or PIP and the much larger breadth of what is and is not disability. With costs having risen so much and there being so many more drivers now it is no longer possible to have both as it originally was.

There is a really large selection of all types of vehicles available under the scheme and most disabilities can be catered for. Please remember though that the original intention was to supply reasonable vehicles to most disabled rather than supplying upmarket vehicles for people to show off in or race around in.

As for the alternative situation of purchasing a vehicle instead it is important t remember that many disabled people are having to live with only benefits as income. Now that the government is trying hard to reduce benefit costs, affording finance or even cash purchase is way beyond most disabled people's financial situations. Many cannot even afford the up-front costs and have to settle for something not quite appropriate and affording the additional not subsidized.adaption costs puts many in a position of having no alternative strategies especially the older generations and single adult situations. Many disabled people with care also have to pay towards those costs as well now, further diminishing their financial options. Also remember that Motability arrange and include not only insurance but road tax, breakdown recovery, servicing and Tyre and Windscreen issues so that the owners do not have to deal with the difficulties these can present. Most garages also run a pick up and drop off option for the more severely disabled people, something much harder to arrange in private deals..

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    @topkitten ... thanks for posting this.

It's very useful and, to me at least, makes a lot of sense as regards the 'benefit' of the car..

(I'm still happy with my 'old banger' though!)

• skullcap
    Topkitten said:
    There is a really large selection of all types of vehicles available under the scheme and most disabilities can be catered for. Please remember though that the original intention was to supply reasonable vehicles to most disabled rather than supplying upmarket vehicles for people to show off in or race around in.
    I will take issue on that comment. People do not normally use or buy expensive vehicles to show off in or race around.

What is important is the comfort, quality, security and space that these vehicles offer. The difference between a standard Vauxhall Insignia for example and their top model, the GSI, is much like choosing between chalk and cheese. Likewise Motability generally do not offer cars that have a BHP figure above 185. The difference when driving any distance of say an extra 65 BHP means a more relaxed journey. Then when it comes to 'add ons' such as head up display, braking options, camera systems etc all of these just add that little bit of reassurance when things may go wrong.on the road. I regularly see a locally well known disabled man drive past me in his Jaguar XJ.I have never seen him exceed 20 mph in a 30 mph zone.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    This post has been going around in circles for a full 2 years now.  Is it not about time it was closed? Just asking.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • soconfused
    soconfused Community member Posts: 102 Courageous
    Yes I was going to reply until I read the post by @exdvr lol

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.