WHY NOT SAY?? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

WHY NOT SAY??

2»

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    maid08maid08
    For those of you who haven't seen it, it's interesting to look at the 'health professional performance' section of the PIP assessment guide.

That says, amongst other things, that they should have an 'up to date knowledge of relevant clinical subjects'.

It's very clear from experience that this usually isn't the case! As for the governing body of each type of medical professional, these bodies may have rules as suggested in your original post. It's also clear from the guide that an assessor must be fully registered, so if those rules are broken that could be relevant to whether they should still be registered, & if not, they whether they should still be doing the job of an assessor.

It may well be worth checking this when making a complaint, and also mentioning it as part of an appeal (because it could help to undermine the assessor's evidence as far as the tribunal are concerned). 

As wildlife knows, you have to be very persistent with complaints. I'm still hopeful that given the amount of very public criticism from the Work & Pensions Committee and others, something has to change soon.

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2018
    @maid08, hello, how do,we find out if our acessor is qualified and a member of their professional body, if it states on the report are they are a nurse does that mean they are a SRN or other?
  • maid08
    maid08 Community member Posts: 307 Pioneering
    wilko said:
    @maid08, hello, how do,we find out if our acessor is qualified and a member of their professional body, if it states on the report are they are a nurse does that mean they are a SRN or other?
    https://www.nmc.org.uk/registration/search-the-register/
    put her name and reg number in if you have it

• maid08
    edited March 2018
    maid08 said:
    wilko said:

if no reg just name will do and check all like phyicic nurse dental if wil show her if reg

• maid08
    maid08maid08
    For those of you who haven't seen it, it's interesting to look at the 'health professional performance' section of the PIP assessment guide.

That says, amongst other things, that they should have an 'up to date knowledge of relevant clinical subjects'.

It's very clear from experience that this usually isn't the case! As for the governing body of each type of medical professional, these bodies may have rules as suggested in your original post. It's also clear from the guide that an assessor must be fully registered, so if those rules are broken that could be relevant to whether they should still be registered, & if not, they whether they should still be doing the job of an assessor.

It may well be worth checking this when making a complaint, and also mentioning it as part of an appeal (because it could help to undermine the assessor's evidence as far as the tribunal are concerned). 

As wildlife knows, you have to be very persistent with complaints. I'm still hopeful that given the amount of very public criticism from the Work & Pensions Committee and others, something has to change soon.

Will

a couple of points i can clear up  if they not reg the report is rubbish and illegal??? as to governing body  they can  not give an opinion or diagnose on anything other than trained and abuse of name and reg is frowned on and should be reported im told
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Yes it's easy to check whether you assessor is on the register for their own governing body. Your assessment report should be signed with their full name and proffesional status. The NMC is the Nursing and Midwifery Council so presumably any type of nurse should be on the NMC register. The GMC General Medical Council governs Doctors which are few and far between as assessors and HCPC governs Paramedics and Physiotherapists I think, not sure about the latter. My experience of HCPC is that once they know you're enquiring about an assessor they don't want to know making the excuse there is an appeal process within the PIP framework. But their standard of practice and code of conduct still applies if their job is in any way medically related which assessing disability is. Also ICO who regulate the Data Protection Act have to same attitude even though any assessors lying and recording false information are breaking the DPA. So once ATOS or Capita have rejected your complaint the only way to get any justice is through ICE. My complaint is still with them awaiting investigation. If you haven't got the information you need about your assessor you can make a subject access request to DWP for ALL your personal benefit paperwork. You might be surprised what you find out. 
  • Barbiesnemesis
    Barbiesnemesis Community member Posts: 86 Pioneering
    When I think of the assessors having a 'medical background' I just imagine the ATOS company photographing their employees in front of a hospital so they can prove they have a 'medical background' - if you see what I mean ;)
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    When I think of the assessors having a 'medical background' I just imagine the ATOS company photographing their employees in front of a hospital so they can prove they have a 'medical background' - if you see what I mean ;)
    Love it.

My assessor said I had no physical, mental, cognitive, sensory, intellectual, or memory impairment. 
    My guess is they got sacked from their last position!!!

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    maid08 said:
    wilko said:

I saw a male assessor and the name on the report is female. Where do I start?
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Barbiesnemesis
    Barbiesnemesis Community member Posts: 86 Pioneering
    @whistles the trouble is if you are articulate and with it they think you are fine. Just another example of the blunt instrument used by (don't give) ATOS to assess people.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    I checked my accessors out the male was genuine the female may have got married so name changed since accessment.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.