WCA ASSESSMENT QUESTION — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


Poplar88 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi there - I applied for ESA Benefit and this was given and the start date of my Claim was 2nd FEBRUARY 2018 - I am currently unable to work as I am awaiting a total hip replacement and I have not received a date yet to have the operation done - I sent off The Work Capability Questionnaire Form and today  I received a letter asking me to come in for a Work Capability Assessment - Does any one know if this Assessment is just for them to decide which Group I will be put in (ie Work Related or Support) or is it to see if I can continue  to receive ESA - My health issues are not going to change until I have had my hip replacement - Do they take that into consideration !!  Many thanks for any help or advice.


  • tomm
    tomm Member Posts: 284 Pioneering
    edited March 2018
    It's a WCA they will assess how you condition affects your daily life and would likely affect your ability to work (in any type of job)

    I gather from what you have said about your health condition that your mobilty is severly impacted ? if so then by you attending the farce you may be contradicting your claim re mobilising,if the centre is located on a floor above ground floor then they if you request have to offer a ground floor venue, due to fire saftey and their duty of care , i would also insist that the WCA is audio recorded this cuts some of the lies they tell

    If i was you i would see if i could get a letter from your GP, saying why you can't travel to their farce venue, and require a home visit (wca in your home) 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    Hello poplar88

    The WCA decides firstly whether you are able to continue to claim ESA and secondly what group you will be placed in. 

    For most people whether you can continue to claim ESA is a points based system, and you need 15 points to continue to get ESA. The Scope website has a good explanation of ESA. It is worth however pointing out that a person can receive 15 points if they cannot mobilise more than 50 meters without severe discomfort.  The term 'mobilise' is important as a decision maker can theoretically assess the distance you are able to be mobile when using a manual wheelchair even if you do not ordinarily use a wheelchair.  If you therefore have other joint problems in your arms or hands these also need to be stressed. 

    In regards to what group of ESA you are placed this will depend on whether you fall within prescribed descriptors.  I have put  a link to the descriptors below:


    As posted if you attend a medical the assessor will observe how you walk into the assessment room, and will ask how you travelled to the venue.  If you do need a home visit you will need to explain why you cannot travel to the assessment offices and if possible obtain medical to support this.  I know that for most people waiting for a hip replacement is self explanatory as to why you should be on ESA, but unfortunately it is not always self-explanatory to medical assessors and ESA. 

    Good luck

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • tomm
    tomm Member Posts: 284 Pioneering
    edited March 2018
    They don't award points for SG descriptors  only the WRA Group , as far as decision  notices are concerned


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.