WCA ASSESSMENT QUESTION — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

WCA ASSESSMENT QUESTION

Options
Poplar88
Poplar88 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi there - I applied for ESA Benefit and this was given and the start date of my Claim was 2nd FEBRUARY 2018 - I am currently unable to work as I am awaiting a total hip replacement and I have not received a date yet to have the operation done - I sent off The Work Capability Questionnaire Form and today  I received a letter asking me to come in for a Work Capability Assessment - Does any one know if this Assessment is just for them to decide which Group I will be put in (ie Work Related or Support) or is it to see if I can continue  to receive ESA - My health issues are not going to change until I have had my hip replacement - Do they take that into consideration !!  Many thanks for any help or advice.

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello poplar88

The WCA decides firstly whether you are able to continue to claim ESA and secondly what group you will be placed in. 

For most people whether you can continue to claim ESA is a points based system, and you need 15 points to continue to get ESA. The Scope website has a good explanation of ESA. It is worth however pointing out that a person can receive 15 points if they cannot mobilise more than 50 meters without severe discomfort.  The term 'mobilise' is important as a decision maker can theoretically assess the distance you are able to be mobile when using a manual wheelchair even if you do not ordinarily use a wheelchair.  If you therefore have other joint problems in your arms or hands these also need to be stressed. 

In regards to what group of ESA you are placed this will depend on whether you fall within prescribed descriptors.  I have put  a link to the descriptors below:

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/1353-support-group-descriptors  

As posted if you attend a medical the assessor will observe how you walk into the assessment room, and will ask how you travelled to the venue.  If you do need a home visit you will need to explain why you cannot travel to the assessment offices and if possible obtain medical to support this.  I know that for most people waiting for a hip replacement is self explanatory as to why you should be on ESA, but unfortunately it is not always self-explanatory to medical assessors and ESA. 

Good luck

Maria
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.