PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Appeal against PIP decision

martiemartie Member Posts: 12 Courageous
Hi, I'm on PIP now, I have CP and Epilepsy. How can I appeal against this PIP decision? I am totally dependent on carers to do everything for me, when I received the report about myself it says I wash my bottom half of my body myself but not my top half, it carry on to say I need supervision when cooking. I never ever been able ether of these things, how can I appeal? martie   

Replies

• lillybellelillybelle Member Posts: 468 Pioneering
    I have epilepsy which is uncontrolled with daily seizures and that is exactly what my report has said
    totalling 6 points for care, 12 for mobility
    although no decision letter yet so still getting DLA
      my concern is that the assesser only took into consideration how I looked at the time. Not how I am during and after, which is why I never cook, need help in & out of bath/ showe and many other things
    as the risk is there daily is exceeds the 50% rule.
    also I need help for my own safety and if on my own I couldn’t do it to an acceptable standard.
    all of this was stated in my form.
    im awaiting the decision then making an appointment with my local disability solutions as they are the people who filled the forms in for me.
    have you had your decision letter yet?
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    martie said:
    Hi, I'm on PIP now, I have CP and Epilepsy. How can I appeal against this PIP decision? I am totally dependent on carers to do everything for me, when I received the report about myself it says I wash my bottom half of my body myself but not my top half, it carry on to say I need supervision when cooking. I never ever been able ether of these things, how can I appeal? martie   
    Hi,
    What was the decision? Have you been given an award at all?

You need to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) you'll need to put this in writing stating what you disagree with and where you think you should have scored those points. Sending more evidence with the letter too. You also have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR.

Most MR decisions remain the same so expect to have to take it to Tribunal. A very long process because some are waiting 1 year for their Tribunal date, depending on where in the country you are and backlogs in your area. Your best chance of a decision going in your favour is to appear in person at the Tribunal hearing.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.