Hi everyone my name is Viv — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi everyone my name is Viv

Options
Bobsies
Bobsies Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am classed as severely disabled. I had an operation that went horrendously wrong and I have severe Ostioarthritis in every bone, blind in one eye and wear hearing aids. I'm on 200mg of morphine a day plus lists of other medication. I am only in my early 50's. I hate the fact that people see i have two arms and two legs and think there is nothing wrong with me. Just because u cannot see my disability does not mean there is nothing wrong. Why should I have to explain to any one what is wrong with me. My other half says you tell people it's on a need to know basis and you don't need to know . It just really upsets me.  

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello Viv @Bobsies and a very warm welcome to the community.
    I am very, very sorry to read of your difficulties and hope it may help you to know that you are far from alone. We even have a specific category/thread for 'Invisible impairments' here https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/invisible-impairments
    At bottom I suspect - but it's only my opinion - that two things are to blame. One is that - just as we lock our doors, lock up our cars when we park them and have to check our emails for viruses - everything is based on safeguarding ourselves from the tiny minority who are happy to exploit our vulnerabilities (like those who park unlawfully in disabled spaces). The other is that we live in a society that seems quite simply to be getting less and less tolerant over time. I wonder; do you yourself think it is getting worse?
    Anyway, you're among friends here who do understand. Just let us know if there is any way and any thing with which we might be able to assist you.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Bobsies and welcome

Thanks for  joining us

Many of our members have "invisible " conditions and understand how you feel

please have a look around and join in if you like. If there is any thing we can help with please let us know

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Bobsies, and welcome to the community!

As the others have said, we have many members who also have invisible impairments, and who will be able to empathise with how you feel. Do get involved and please do let us know if we can be of any assistance.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.