Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Do I need to look for work? Carer and ESA

pmccaffertypmccafferty Member Posts: 1 Listener
Just wondering if I need to look for work as I'm a carer.as my misses suffers from depression and anxiety. And claiming esa


  • JennysDadJennysDad Member Posts: 2,308 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pmccafferty and a warm welcome to the community. Glad you have found us.
    You might find some information in our Employment issues, finances and ESA thread here https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/benefits-and-finances and, if you can bear with us, one of our benefits advisors will probably respond to your post shortly.
    Warmest best wishes,
  • debbiedo49debbiedo49 Member Posts: 2,906 Disability Gamechanger
    I am a fibro warrior !💜♏️
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pmccafferty, and welcome to the community!

    It may be wise to have a look at the online benefits calculator to see what you may/may not be eligible for, and Turn2Us has a great resource on ESA permitted work which you may find helpful. Have a read, and please do come back to us with any questions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi pmccafferty

    Glad to hear from you.

    I'm wondering whether your wife also has Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and also whether you are in a full service Universal Credit area. 
    You can be paid income support in some geographical areas if your wife has PIP and you have carers allowance. In this case, you'd be asked to attend one appointment at the jobcentre with a work coach but that should be it. The income support claim would include personal allowance for your wife, and you'd get help with housing costs to some degree and full child tax credits for any children. 

    If you're in a full service universal credit  (UC) area, you don't necessarily need to have carers allowance to be able to claim UC as a carer - again, if you claim as a carer, there should minimal attendance at the jobcentre to discuss your caring responsibilities. There is work coach discretion about whether or not to accept that you have caring responsibilities and how many hours per week if at all you are required to work or top look for work in order to get benefit. This is where medical evidence would be essential. If you have to claim as someone who is unemployed or too ill currently to work, there is more intervention around work capability.

    To check which kind of area you are in, look at 


    To do a benefit check to thrash out your likely entitlement to benefits, gather paperwork - council tax bill,  mortgage documents or rent details, amounts of any other household income, and go to 


    Good luck (do get in touch again) and best wishes


Sign in or join us to comment.