Stopped benefit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Stopped benefit

Annabelle26 Member Posts: 103 Pioneering
Because I was unable to go to an Assessment recently & was following medical advice my ESA has been stopped.  I told the DWP but it made no difference.  I have put in an MR but am waiting to see whats happens.  This has caused financial problems but I have managed to borrow some money from my Mother.


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering

    Hopefully your MR will be successful. If you fail to attend an assessment then you need to give a good reason, which of course you did. I'm sure you have explained that you were following medical advice. If you need an assessment at home for example, you can ask for this. Please don't stop sending in sick notes to the DWP.
    Unfortunately, if you claim again at this point you won't get ESA unless your condition has got worse (or it is six months since the decision, which I don't suppose it is at this point). So probably, the most important thing to do at the moment is to keep challenging the decision on your existing claim and keep supplying the evidence.

    Good luck!

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.