Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Esa descriptors

lyndylou63lyndylou63 Member Posts: 30 Listener
hi everyone 

I have been on the website looking at the esa descriptors. It states that if you meet one of the following descriptors you will qualify for the support group.

Activity 1. Mobilising unaided by another person with or without a walking stick, manual wheelchair or other aid if such aid is normally or could reasonably be worn or used.

Cannot either: 
(a) mobilise more than 50 metres on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion; or 
(b) repeatedly mobilise 50 metres within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion.  

I cannot walk even 50 metres without the help of another person. I need a wheelchair outdoors so someone has to be with me to push me.

Therefore would I qualify?

Replies

• CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,258 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi lyndylou

You would need to explain why you cannot use a manual wheel chair to propel yourself 50m

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • lyndylou63lyndylou63 Member Posts: 30 Listener
    I haven't got a manual wheelchair as I haven't enough strength in my arms to use one.
    You don't need to own a wheel chair, but you will have to explain why you don't have the strength in your arms to use one.

What is it that means you don't have the strength ?
    How far could you propel your self ?
    What happens then ?
    Do you get out of breath/exhausted ?

You will need to back this up with medical evidence

CR
  • tommtomm Member Posts: 231 Pioneering
    edited April 2018
    CR is correct, to a point, As they will not just take your word for it, if there is some clinical reason why using a manual wheelchair  would not be reasonable  for you to propel yourself around on said  imgaginery wheelchair  then they would expect to see some evidence , could be OA in the hands or wrists  on both or one side ,
    There are also other cxonsiderations such where you live, is it wheelchair freindly, ?  and you usually will be refered by your DR for a assessment for a wheelchair , so a letter explaining why it wouldn'tr be reasonable for you to use a manual wheelchair would be of help 

How far could you propel your self ?
    What happens then ?
    Do you get out of breath/exhausted ?

CR jumping the gun a little aren't you , no one can answer  such questions if they never have or do not posses a manual wheelchair

I have just received a text message from DWP saying they have received my esa claim.they will write to me with a decision within 2 weeks or they will get in touch for more information. 
    Is this standard procedure? When do I start receiving any money?
    edited April 2018
    This is standard,
    Just to clarify things a little if i  am correct ,you are currently in reciept of ESA paid at the assessment rate?, You i presume have recently completed the ESA50 questionaire and returned it?  if that is correct they will  either now carry out a paper assessment , or more likely arrange an appointment for you to attend a WCA at a venue near to your home address,
    I have only sent in the esa 1 form and ssp1 forms as yet. I haven't started receiving any assessment money or received an esa 50 form yet

edited April 2018
    I think that you will also have to send them a fit note from your GP that covers the period that you wish to claim from,(If you haven't already done so) you will have to keep sending in fit notes until you have been assessed  (WCA) by maximus, Have you rang ESA and enquired about your claim,?
Sign in or join us to comment.