SLEEP PARALYSIS - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SLEEP PARALYSIS

Options

Comments

• Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    I used to have them, but very rarely, was advised that sleeping on your back increases the chance of them occurring. 
  • dee4848
    dee4848 Community member Posts: 256 Pioneering
    Options
    @Karen7788 I think your right there, more happened whilst laying on my back.  hmm interesting 
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    Hope it helps you @dee4848, anything is worth a try. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    How are you feeling at the moment @dee4848? I hope things are better but if you need anything we are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • dee4848
    Options
    @L_Volunteer How lovely of you  to ask,  thankyou ,I'm ok for now
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It doesn't cost anything to ask @dee4848! Really positive to hear you are ok for now.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if this changes though or if you need any further support. We are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • DOPPER
    DOPPER Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    I have been experiencing it for a long time though it is scary and drained your energy and mental health well I get cured now and hope to help others having the same problem through my experience.
  • dee4848
    Options
    @DOPPER
    Hi what did you see? And how was you cured?
  • DOPPER
    Options
    As far as I believed there are no medical issues it is my opinion. Feel the presence of someone unknown and you feel everything during that certain period I worked a lot on it and try to fight back as well but by doing so it grows only and that was terrible I hope no one goes to that stage. About the cure, I met someone and he gives me some stones and told me to wear them I was like he is fooling me but I tried it and found working for me sounds nonsense but it is the truth :)
  • dee4848
    Options
    @DOPPER
    Yes I don't think it can get any worse for me, iv had a mild episode and terrible one and a few beautiful ones to say the least.
    Thankyou.
  • DOPPER
    Options
    Beautiful ones :smile: explain some?
  • dee4848
    Options
    @DOPPER
    First one I had was 11 months after my dad passed , I had a electrifying buzzing feeling all over my body ,couldn't move couldn't speak ,his voice was in my left ear ,he asked me if I was OK, then the sensation went , a few years later the same sensation happened and i was staring at the 👹 was really scarey. Then I seen both my deceased sons one of them was standing in front of the most beautiful snowy white mountains 😍
  • DOPPER
    Options
    Very much familiar with an electrifying buzz, as far as I am concerned good dreams are not concerned with sleep paralysis because it is a negative energy around you and what you are saying is all about the positive energy 
  • dee4848
    Options
    I agree , I am a very spiritual person I must say .
  • DOPPER
    Options
    Sounds great if you find any difficulty dealing with these bad energies do let me know maybe I can help 
  • TracieJ
    TracieJ Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    I have stuffed SP for many years this past couple of years was the longest I had with out one until I watched the Netflix series about Dahlmer and it seemed to trigger them again usually I get like vibrations but can hear it as well as feel it then the paralysis I have had several different experiences but usually consist of what I think is a man wearing a trench coat and fedora standing in the corner of my room I usually the feel like Iv been dragged out of bed and down the hall by my ankles , I always seem to come out of it before we reach the front door other times it is just paralysis and a weight on my chest and another regular one is someone again I think it’s a man but this time in a white like Parker can never see their faces but this one is always climbing in my window (I live 3 flights up in a flat) I try not to watch anything to scary before bed now incase it triggers it? 
    So long winded sorry but this is the first time Iv ever seen other folk about it my family and friends all think I’m crazy when I tell them about it I’m glad I’m not alone in this ☺️
  • EchoReborn
    EchoReborn Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Okey Dokie! Hi guys! I was just looking for something and see your forum.. I thought I could help as I have a lot of Info about this by pure luck so I thought if I sharr my experiences maybe it will help you guys? (Sorry about my spelling)..

So.. I've had Sleep Paralysis for as long as I can ever remember... And I get the "
    Hypnopompic hallucinations" (meaning I get them, and the SP attack "on waking"). Hypnagogic hallucinations are the ones some people get before falling asleep, OR when severely sleep deprived.

So... As a child (and basically my whole life) l, I constantly have broken sleep and tend to wake up several times through the night, and when tired and stressed. The SP attacks happen. Which then makes sleep harder lol.
    With the hallucinations, for me as a child, the monsters under the bed was very real.

When I was around 20 years old. Moved house and doctors.. and decided to finally talk to a doctor about this (with the new doctor)...
    He looked at me with this glee on his face as this condition is quite rare lol and by sheer luck for me. Before he was a GP practice manager, he worked in psychiatrics and during his training. He actually picked this "subject" for his dissertation.

Aaaannny way.... So.. sleep paralysis is actually a form of Narcolepsy. (Cataplexy is the one where people "drop" to sleep with strong emotions) but ours is SP...

The doctor then told me that although this disorder has been known since the middle aged. Where people attributed this to the sleep demons incubus and succubus... Very little research was done on this disorder because of how rare it is.. "BUT the good news is, there is medication for it" he said... I was put on clomipramine and have been on it every since.. (althos it's not working much now it was great at first, because I can go through attacks on average aproxx 6 times per night unmedicated. Taking the medication helps calm it but not cure it. There is no cure)!

Brings me to the next bit.. the WHY...
    Ok so so is a stress induced disorder..

As a normal person goes to sleep the pituity gland releases a hormone that stops people acting out their dreams.
    People who dont secret enough are prone to sleep walking".
    People who suffer with SP tend to secret too much... Most people will sleepwalk once in a lifetime, and will have SP once in a lifetime Also. But we are prone to this....

This was all the info the doctor gave me and it did help me understand things easier..

So from there I went away and tried to look online for more info... All I could find was one text document style website with a short description of this basically saying what the doctor said, that there wasn't much research in it..

Gladly that was a long time ago now lol and now ther is tons of things on the internet altho there is some incorrect information that I've come across, so he careful.

Getting older I got used to it more.. yes it's frightening.. but when you understand it it goes make it easier.. and on that note.. somthing Interesting about that hormone that stops you acting your dreams... It also basically switches off 95% of your memory, so when you have a sp attack you usually get fragmented memories. (Like having dementia or Alzheimer's. It totally sounds like common sense that your memory switches off when you sleep right? But it's more like being conscious and awake with only 5% fragmented memories)

When I get my attacks. I don't always know who I am, where I am, when in time I am..

-I see people that have passed away.
    -I have thought I was in a coma with nurses running around me.
    -I have been 10 years in my past laying next to an ex that broke my heart
    -I have thought I was dead, in more ways that one...
    -I have been held down, attacked, beaten and even abused by people, demons or spirits (depending on what game my mind and SP decides to play on my that night 🤣)

And the best part about Sleep Paralysis is???

as you get older it gets worse.. it generally never gets better for people who are prone to it. You might get slight reprieves from it but when your life becomes more stressful, because you are prone to it, it will happen.
    As a child SP would last a few minutes at most and I could always generally find a way to break out of it... But these days SP for me, can last 20minutes+ and sometimes when I think if finally broken out of it my brain has now taken to tricking me into thinking I'm out and awake when I'm actually still bloody stuck. 🤣
    Please don't take this the wrong way though.. I don't hate it or fear it and I'm not telling you this to scare you. I have learnt to live with this because I've had it since my earliest memories. As I have aged I have come to enjoy the experience (mostly)... Even the bad ones. And if I was to give one peice of advice, I would say "don't try to fight it, when it happens just go with it. It will make it far more fun" lol

I know this is Super long but I honestly hope it helps you guys and if you have any questions on this or on my personal experience. Please just ask.
  • dee4848
    Options
    @EchoReborn
    Hi I do understand what you have said, for me tho I do think it's spiritual and I enjoy seeing my loved ones 
  • EchoReborn
    EchoReborn Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
     Hey @dee4848.

My apologies. Altho it was a long post. I tried to keep it very short and missed massive amounts out, including some of my more personal experiences.

I cannot deny that there is a massive spiritualistic feeling to our "dissorder" (as the doctors would liable it).

I don't think I personally see it as a disorder because I, like you, thoroughly love the episodes where I get to see family. Because the experience feels so real. I miss my dad and my nan so much and I love seeing them...

I have my own personally beliefs and a narrative in my head when I do get these experiences, but to some it might seem bleak lol...

When I have these experiences, in my mind, and to me. It feels like when I'm stuck in paralysis, I'm actually stuck in "the halfway" if you get what I mean? Like in that moment I'm not alive or dead. I'm kinda in-between. Which gives me the chance to talk, see and hug my family... I see it as a privilege. This is why I always enjoy this. Good and bad. Because to me, it's worth the bad to see them..

Sorry for my mushyness 🤣. My previous post was a shortshis version of blunt "facts" that I've found over the years.. it's a clinical version with my own twist.. but personally... I am glad I still get to see my dad and nan... It's more than what other people get.
  • dee4848
    Options
    Please don't apologise I'm totally with you, and yes we just are so fortunate that we get to see and speak to our loved ones .
    Merry Christmas 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.