Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Bedroom tax.

libbyminlibbymin Member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello everyone,

im sure this has been discussed before but I have only just joined. 

I have a rented two bed house. I have been paying £14 a week bedroom tax even though I suffer very badly with my mental health resulting in needing friends/family to stay with me on a regular basis. 

The local cal authority have told me that unless I need a full time carer living with me all the time then I am not entitled to the second room. 

Is this correct? They are now telling me that the only thing I can do is move into a one bedroom place. This, as you can imagine is causing me a lot of stress and will cost me a lot of money. 




  • whistleswhistles Member Posts: 1,590 Disability Gamechanger
    What benefits are you on? My guess is UC?
    Do you receive pip standard rate care. I think that permits a carer to stay over. 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • libbyminlibbymin Member Posts: 3 Listener
    I’m on PIP at higher rate care. The local authority tell me that I should use it to pay the bedroom tax. 
  • sandyp196sandyp196 Member Posts: 129 Pioneering
    I recieve pip higher rate and this entities me to a 2 bedroom property eveb though i am the sole tenant. I have to prove the extra bedroom is being used. I'm having to do that now. Bt I don't pay bedroom tax and I was allocated my present 2 bedroom flat based solely on the fact I qualified for pip higher rate. I live in Wales. I'm not sure if rules are different here. 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,916 Disability Gamechanger
    So is there some reason you’re not getting a discretionary housing payment to make up the shortfall?
Sign in or join us to comment.