Should I appeal? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Should I appeal?

Elaine2 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi could anyone help me i have osteoarthritis in both my knees and right hand i recently went for a pip assessment and was awarded the standered for the daily living part but only got 4 point on mobility which is the worst part for me  i can hardly walk up stairs without holding something or do hills and due the condition it changes daily should i appeal this its the first time i have ever claimed anything and dont really understand at all    


  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi Elaine

    Good afternoon and warm welcome.

    Sorry to learn about osteo, but well done on your PIP award to date.

    Have you got a copy of the assessment report, that would have been completed by the HCP?

    If you haven't, you need to phone the PIP helpline to request a copy.

    When you have the report you are best served by making an appointment with your local CAB, so they can give you advice asking for Man Reconderation.

    You have 30 days from when you get your award letter, to seek a MR.

    From what you have stated, your mobility needs are greater than the points you have been awarded.

    Hope this helps.

    Please let us know if you need further assistance.

    Best wishes

  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Elaine2, and welcome to the community!

    It's a tricky decision to make, but if you do decide to appeal, we'll do our best to offer support and guidance. Scope's page on DWP appeals may also give you a better understanding of the process and help you to make a decision. I hope today is as kind as possible to you!


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.