Do I have to declare money if I get ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Do I have to declare money if I get ESA?

honey2kk1 Member Posts: 4 Listener
I want to know if you get some money monthly payment do you have to declare to employment and support allowance thanks


  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @honey2kk1 and a warm welcome to the community. I think it might help if you could tell us what this monthly payment is - where it comes from? Either way you will need advice from someone who knows more than I do, and they will be in touch with you as soon as possible.
    Warmest best wishes to you
  • liciakay02
    liciakay02 Member Posts: 2 Connected
    I don’t understand, what monthly payments ?
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,847 Connected
    It will depend on whether we’re talking about contributory or means-tested ESA for starters and then on the specifics of the payments. I’d also say that in my view this isn’t necessarily appropriate for a forum. 
  • stanthegunman
    stanthegunman Member Posts: 3 Connected
    declare all money coming in otherwise when they find out the will accuse you of fraud i know i have been there and they can send it to court or they can fine you a certain percentage of the over payment and you will have to pay it back, the best policy is declare anything you have coming in other than your benifits 
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,847 Connected
    @stanthegunman Not necessarily the case. The better advice is to get face to face advice because not all monies have to be declared. Declaring something which does not have to be declared can lead to a wholly unnecessary suspension of your main benefit whilst it’s investigated, which in turn could end HB and CTR and put you in arrrears (especially as most people don’t realise they can and should immediately reclaim on low/no income grounds) with action being triggered for rent arrears or a full years CT if the investigation exceeds r weeks. 

    Face to face advice can not only avoid an unnecessary declaration and benefit suspensions but can also ensure that, if declarations do need to be made, they are made with sufficient detail about the payments that any suspension is minimal. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    Mike's advice is good & practical. I completely agree that if you declare it, then you need to be specific about what it is. Not all income makes a difference & there is a danger that if you don't explain, benefit could be suspended with all the knock on effects Mike has mentioned. On the other hand, if you don't tell them, investigation & overpayment is a possibility, so it really is best to get advice first, & if you report something, make sure you are really specific & give details to avoid any suspension.

    If you get contributory ESA only, you only need to declare certain sorts of payment (occupational and personal pensions, and some types of health insurance and pension protection payments).

    If you get any income-related ESA, then there are many more types of income which are likely to affect your benefit. But even then, if you get a regular charitable or voluntary payment (such as every month), then those are ignored. A voluntary payment is one made without the payer getting anything back from you.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • honey2kk1
    honey2kk1 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Because I received a letter saying I have to come in for a interview under caution an i ain't done anything wrong 
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,847 Connected
    There are many reasons people get pulled in for an interview under carrying and DWP are hilariously bad at doing them or even knowing about the benefits they’re asking about. Take a witness with you (they won’t be able to speak though unless they’re an appropriate adult) and ask for a written transcription of the interview. Immediately afterwards you should get face to face advice and await whatever decision, if any, is subsequently made.

    DWP often use such interviews to persuade people that they have been overpaid and are likely to be prosecuted for fraud. They then offer you a way out of prosecution by suggesting if you agree to end your claim, agree to relay the overpayment and pay an administrative penalty on top. They may have a case but in my experience it’s a con. A way to bypass your appeal rights. I’ve dealt with one IUC after another over the years where the threat of prosecution was wholly false.

    None of this means the threat in your case is false though. It could be very real. Take a witness; go see what they want. Get professional advice before you go if at all possible; don’t agree to anything on the day. The people who interview you are not the decision makers. They’re just gatherers of evidence. Get further advice after. 

    In the meantime, have a read of

    I hear your declaration that you’ve done nothing wrong but you started the thread by asking a very specific question. One that suggests there is at least a legitimate question you need to answer. 

  • honey2kk1
    honey2kk1 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Yeh says fraud and undeclared property and capital .
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,847 Connected
    I’ll stand by my previous post abs add something to which I alluded earlier. A web forum is not the place to discuss potential fraud matters. One if the reasons for this is that some fraud officers are sharp enough to identify your online presence and note what you say. Facebook posts regularly get used against people in employment and social security cases and you need to be very careful what information you put out there. At this point go get some advice bad a representative and I’d urge you to not seek that advice online. 
  • honey2kk1
    honey2kk1 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Ok thanks just wanted to ask if know if haven't done anything wrong but thanks 
  • Siaman63
    Siaman63 Member Posts: 9 Listener
    Hi I am new to this site please bare with me, I receive contribution ESA and I have a case going on with my work. They say they are going to finish me on grounds of ill health when I receive payment for I need to declare this
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,847 Connected
    Earnings have no impact on contribution based ESA.
  • Siaman63
    Siaman63 Member Posts: 9 Listener


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.