Do I have to declare money if I get ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I have to declare money if I get ESA?

Options
honey2kk1
honey2kk1 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I want to know if you get some money monthly payment do you have to declare to employment and support allowance thanks

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @honey2kk1 and a warm welcome to the community. I think it might help if you could tell us what this monthly payment is - where it comes from? Either way you will need advice from someone who knows more than I do, and they will be in touch with you as soon as possible.
    Warmest best wishes to you
    Richard
    @JennysDad
  • liciakay02
    liciakay02 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Options
    I don’t understand, what monthly payments ?
  • stanthegunman
    stanthegunman Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    Options
    declare all money coming in otherwise when they find out the will accuse you of fraud i know i have been there and they can send it to court or they can fine you a certain percentage of the over payment and you will have to pay it back, the best policy is declare anything you have coming in other than your benifits 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    honey2kk1,

Mike's advice is good & practical. I completely agree that if you declare it, then you need to be specific about what it is. Not all income makes a difference & there is a danger that if you don't explain, benefit could be suspended with all the knock on effects Mike has mentioned. On the other hand, if you don't tell them, investigation & overpayment is a possibility, so it really is best to get advice first, & if you report something, make sure you are really specific & give details to avoid any suspension.

If you get contributory ESA only, you only need to declare certain sorts of payment (occupational and personal pensions, and some types of health insurance and pension protection payments).

If you get any income-related ESA, then there are many more types of income which are likely to affect your benefit. But even then, if you get a regular charitable or voluntary payment (such as every month), then those are ignored. A voluntary payment is one made without the payer getting anything back from you.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• honey2kk1
    Options
    Because I received a letter saying I have to come in for a interview under caution an i ain't done anything wrong 
  • honey2kk1
    Options
    Yeh says fraud and undeclared property and capital .
  • honey2kk1
    Options
    Ok thanks just wanted to ask if know if haven't done anything wrong but thanks 
  • Siaman63
    Siaman63 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    Hi I am new to this site please bare with me, I receive contribution ESA and I have a case going on with my work. They say they are going to finish me on grounds of ill health when I receive payment for I need to declare this
  • Siaman63
    Siaman63 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.