PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Home assessment

theresa73theresa73 Member Posts: 25 Connected
edited May 2018 in PIP, DLA and AA
Hi  had my home assessment today   it should of been between 11-1 but he didn't turn up till 1.45.  Don't think it went well.. he was concentrating on how do i drive if I can't walk..  the whole thing was very confusing... to many questions thrown at you and you are made feel really stupid when he is asking "well why cant you cook and clean"  I just felt total useless..  I won't hold my breath about it..  I don't think you are supposed to drive if your disabled. 😠

Replies

• lindadeniselindadenise Member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    edited May 2018
    Well i was told that it takes great strength and great powers of thought to drive a car, i sent my MR back and said if thats the case why do thousands of disabled people drive on motability if thats the case.😳
  • markyboymarkyboy Member Posts: 368 Pioneering
    You cannot second think what an assessor is going to say you might think it did not go well and get a good outcome or you might think that all went well and get a bad outcome like me
  • theresa73theresa73 Member Posts: 25 Connected
    I'm devastated that he laughed when he asked about my mental health. He said did I have any thought of self harm or suicide so I told him i have and seeing a councillor cor it  then he asked if my daughter knew who was sat there   and by that point he could tell by the tears rolling down my face and the way I froze that she didnt know and when I nodded no  he just laughed and said she does now.  I'm absolutely gutted.
  • thefaintheartedthefainthearted Member Posts: 6 Connected
    You need to stand up to that cretin and make a formal complaint!
    You have a witness, your daughter..he has nothing to stand on..report the little b&%%£r!
    I have phoned PIP they said they would send a complaints form out.. he was very rude  not only did he have a 2 hr window to arrive but he was 45 mins late and didn't even state his name..  I never asked for a home assessment but i assumed because i am on crutches that's what he was there for  but never even asked about my knee just concentrated on what I went in my car for ..   I'd be afraid if I complained that it would jeopardise my case  x
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    edited May 2018
    Well i was told that it takes great strength and great powers of thought to drive a car, i sent my MR back and said if thats the case why do thousands of disabled people drive on motability if thats the case.😳

Probably because there is nothing wrong with their thought processing, no metal health issues and no other physical problems other than having the problem of not being able to walk. In fact I know one ex squaddie that did a couple of tours of the 'gan' Last one saw both his legs blown clean off - he can drive a car but has difficulty walking.
    When I am asked the standard question - do I drive. The answer is no I don't, but I could if the DWP would give me back my licence.
    They just want to take any independence away from us. If I didn't have a car I couldn't get to school but that's no concern to them.  When asked if I could do simple exercises  I stated that I can with my left side but anything on my right side has no chance and when he told me to stand I said iv been sat her that long that iv seized up so he said so are you gunna sit there all day then.   I wanted to wrap my crutches around his head  cheeky sod... x
  • feirfeir Member Posts: 396 Pioneering
    Good luck with the complaint @theresa73 That's horrible what he did.
    Thankyou.. I'm just so numb..  I knew they could be sods but i didnt think they would literally laugh at metal health  in front of your face.. x
  • feirfeir Member Posts: 396 Pioneering
    Neither did i. He should be ashamed of himself but i doubt he is.

None of them care the assessors have a big say in what points your likely to get. I was annoyed because they did not have any idea what my illnesses were.
    Im still waiting for my MR Decision but to be honest i wont hold my breath.

• thefaintheartedthefainthearted Member Posts: 6 Connected
    Even if they deny your claim - keep fighting! they want us all to give in...dont let them win...
  • lillybellelillybelle Member Posts: 458 Pioneering
    Why tell them that you did drive?
    in fact why tell them that you even hold a licence.
    its got absolutely nothing to do with the assessor
    i personally think people go wrong because they say too much.
    just keep to facts
    the problem with these assessments is that the soft ware is asking the question, assessor typing in answer and it’s then asking another question because it’s digging abit deeper.
    abit like cooking- can you cook a meal- answer no.
    anymore questions to do with cooking are no I don’t cook at all now please move on.
    I was stupid enough to give him drivers license for id.. I don't know why I opened my big trap about driving.. I did say that I only drive twice a week  with my cusion in the car with me..   I noticed he was asking the same question differently to see if he could catch me out.. now im going over it all im realising I could of trripped myself up a few times..  they are bloody clever x
  • debsidoodebsidoo Member Posts: 327 Pioneering
    Hi theresa73
    Is your car an automatic if so you may be able to point out to them that it is easier than driving a manual. 
       Debsidoo.x
  • lillybellelillybelle Member Posts: 458 Pioneering
    It isn’t them who are clever, they just read the questions off a screen. It’s the computer soft ware that is quite detailed  I wouldn’t be surprised if the software actually dictates most of the report 
    an automatic car or manual wouldn’t make any difference unless it is especially adapted.
    drivers should be confident and quick to observe, not a nervous wreck that need the passengers  to help them to cope. What state would you be in if you had a near miss or a child ran out in front of You.
    im afraid it seems as though you have shot yourself in the foot in the mobility part of Pip.
    hopefully the daily living won’t be so bad

Im not a nervous reck when im in my car I don't need anyone to help me to drive my car they are with me to help me with my crutches when I get in or out of it. I never take meds if I drive so I am always aware of my surroundings.  It don't say on him computer to laugh when he talks about my PTSD that is just dam right rude.. he was supposed to be there for my physical state.. I know the computer dictates the questions but doesn't dictate to be an arragont rude sod.. 
    It's not automatic. Iv torn a ligament in my knee last year but because i have antiphospholipid syndrome they won't operate so I have to get back to living independently so it's took me a while to learn to drive my car  but i can manage on short journeys now. Just can't walk properly and I drive  only on a good day.. 
  • thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @theresa73 Sorry what has happened to you assessment. First thing I do understand this situation.  The assessments at the moment seem to me at this present time have been so scathing and unnecessarily harsh.

To make the person who is being assessed feel intimidated and embarrassed, humiliated.

This is the reason why may I say that after doing these for twenty years plus on and off. I have to say learnt and know what is it is going on.

First thing I would do make a complaint against the person assessing you.

Second thing, please can I ask always have some body independent to sit with you. Understand this gone with friends and walked over.

Understand it is fantastic have family member great but they are not only get chastised but as I said treated indifference.

Gone with health worker, support worker, welfare support any body. Totally changed the attitude and demeanour.

Remember none of this is your fault. This is the Governments job employing these people.

First time went to interview assessment was about early nineties when receiving benefits.  For a review

This old Doctor on your own he uttered.  I still recall what I said even now. Sorry could not bring a welfare lawyer with me.

His face see it now dropped no lawyer here son. Son, I made a complaint straight away. His attitude everything.  About the assessment.

Time has not changed. Understand CAPITA and ATOS  all under pressure and scrutiny. Because of reports from Governments cross parties committees.  What the hell is going on.  All out there and these people are up against it. Realising now what we are all about and what we are dong now to the system. Making waves, making arguments.

Remember been through loads of these. Been through nightmares scenario's of having benefit stopped one month  changes, then back after a year told unfit to work.  Eighteen months later fit and then unfit continuous.

You need to be strong, you need to be positive. You did nothing wrong.

Recall last few years need support worker to answer questions. Assessors asked me several but make it short.

Stopped me several times these assessors.  Why do need support worker or other support. Told the truth and be honest but at the same time 

Simple short answers. Write down what you wish to say. Have a simple ideas of what you want to say.

All I can say try not to worry keep appealing and try please be positive. You reading from an experienced gentleman who has been through hell.

It is continuing for me as it will for others.

I know am in support group ESA at the moment. Got sometime PIP maybe but on old DLA.

Have the knowledge and experience to deal with this.

Wish you well and am here to listen.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
    just keep to facts
    the problem with these assessments is that the soft ware is asking the question, assessor typing in answer and it’s then asking another question because it’s digging abit deeper.
    anymore questions to do with cooking are no I don’t cook at all now please move on.

Are you actually suggesting that when the assessor asks you if you drive (which is a normal question for obvious reasons) you would say no whereas the truth is that you do? Would you suggest any further lies that you may tell them?
    As for your cooking answer if you actually tell the assessor what you have written in your last sentence could well be seen as you not fully co-operating. 
  • dee4848dee4848 Member Posts: 218 Pioneering
    Yadnad said:
    just keep to facts

Are you actually suggesting that when the assessor asks you if you drive (which is a normal question for obvious reasons) you would say no whereas the truth is that you do? Would you suggest any further lies that you may tell them?
    As for your cooking answer if you actually tell the assessor what you have written in your last sentence could well be seen as you not fully co-operating. 
    @llilybelle @yadnad And fraud 
    edited May 2018
    @lillybelle  I have to disagree with the questions just popping up on software, my assessor said they need no questions or answers on my mental health they had all the information they needed ,she said the questions I will be asking you is to do with the mobility part of your claim.and this was from DLA to PIP.Or do you mean the questions are ramdom 
    My assesor asked me if I had been sectioned or been in any mental health hospiral. So I do think questions were random I had everything from do you wipe yourself when you go toilet  to being sectioned and physical   he might as well of put a bright light to my face the way he seemed like he was interrogating me..  I will be getting a health professional next time   I don't want to go there that again.. last time i went through that  the court took all my money off me and I successfully replied.. it's mental draining. 
  • thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @theresa73 Please have you seen the posts on PIP on the forum. Understand there is some information and advice on doing PIP plus other helpful stuff.

Consider have a look and see if any of it helps.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
    theresa73 said:
    My assesor asked me if I had been sectioned or been in any mental health hospiral. So I do think questions were random I had everything from do you wipe yourself when you go toilet  to being sectioned and physical   he might as well of put a bright light to my face the way he seemed like he was interrogating me..  I will be getting a health professional next time   I don't want to go there that again.. last time i went through that  the court took all my money off me and I successfully replied.. it's mental draining. 
    Yes i was asked about my toilet needs also but thats just based on what you say on your claim form
    theresa73 said:
    I was stupid enough to give him drivers license for id.. I don't know why I opened my big trap about driving.. I did say that I only drive twice a week  with my cusion in the car with me..   I noticed he was asking the same question differently to see if he could catch me out.. now im going over it all im realising I could of trripped myself up a few times..  they are bloody clever x

Not clever enough in my opinion. They wouldn't get through a simple first interview if they were employed by either the police of the DWP fraud department. They think that they are clever. 
  • WaylayWaylay Member Posts: 922 Pioneering
    edited May 2018
    @Yadnad Agreed! News story: https://www.buzzfeed.com/emilydugan/most-dwp-benefits-cases-which-reach-court-are-based-on-bad?utm_term=.da2bXYBeE#.ufYmpb41n

"Britain’s most senior tribunal judge says most of the benefits cases that reach court are based on bad decisions where the Department for Work and Pensions has no case at all.

Sir Ernest Ryder, senior president of tribunals, also said the quality of evidence provided by the DWP is so poor it would be “wholly inadmissible” in any other court...

Commenting on the poor quality of the DWP’s evidence, he said that after sitting in on one tribunal for a day, not one of the cases he saw had an assessment that was dated, named, or signed.

Ryder said the court typically did not “even know what the professional qualification or registration number was of the author”. He said this meant “in expert evidence terms in any other organisation you and I know of, it would be wholly inadmissible."

• WaylayWaylay Member Posts: 922 Pioneering
    Driving question a la ATOS:

At assessment
    Assessor: Do you drive?
    Me: No
    A: Do you have a license?
    Me: No. I used to have one from the US, but it expired years ago.

Has license from US, but DVLA has not been informed that she is medically unfit to drive.

(I got a clear sense of, "Ha! Caught you!" from that sentence.)

My MR submission
    The assessor states that I have a driver's license. I do not. I used to have one from the US, as I lived there before moving to the UK, but it expired two or three years after I moved here. As I'm neither a US citizen nor a US resident, I couldn't renew it. Regardless, in the UK one can only drive on a foreign license for 12 months, and I've lived here for 12 years.

The assessor states that the DVLA hasn't been informed that I'm medically unfit to drive. As I don't have a license, it isn't necessary to inform the DVLA of anything. If I did have a license (I DO NOT), I would not feel safe driving, as some of the medications I take on a regular basis make me unsteady on my feet, drowsy, and lacking in concentration. The gov.uk website states (sections which are not relevant have been elided):
    --------------------------------------------------------

Prescription medicines

It’s illegal in England and Wales to drive with legal drugs in your body if it impairs your driving... Talk to your doctor about whether you should drive if you’ve been prescribed any of the following drugs:

• amphetamine, eg dexamphetamine or selegiline
    • clonazepam

• diazepam

• flunitrazepam
    • lorazepam
    • methadone
    • morphine or opiate and opioid-based drugs, eg codeine, tramadol or fentanyl

• oxazepam
    • temazepam

You can drive after taking these drugs if:

• you’ve been prescribed them and followed advice on how to take them by a healthcare professional
    • they aren’t causing you to be unfit to drive even if you’re above the specified limits.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I take tramadol almost every day (multiple times), morphine 1-3 times a month, and diazepam or clonazepam approximately 3 times a week.

Wow, assessor, you got me good.

Grades for this section of the report:
    Listening - F
    General knowledge - F
    Research - F

Needs work.

Morning.   I know I would of failed my assessment straight away because i said u drive 2 days a week. I don't have a choice but to.  I have to put my pain aside for the sake of my child.. the days I pick her up I inly have paracetamol and in the evening tramadol when there is another adult in the house..  my blood clotting disorder has turned my life upside down. .. but atos arnt concerned with that  they would just rather catch you out..  it's seems to me like disabled people can't be parents or disabled people can't drive  or any any slight sense of normality in their lives because if they do  then they are not intitelled to PIP..  The fight and scrutinizing for it doesn't seem worth it..
    Done that to me said because i drive it takes great powers of thought and strength. I done MR and said there thousands of disabled people it this country that drive modern day power assisted cars.
    My question for them is why do you have Motability schemes for disabled people if they cant drive.
    Contradicting and very one sided.
Sign in or join us to comment.