ESA & DLA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA & DLA

Options
womble6952
womble6952 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
My stepson has been in receipt of DLA & ESA in the support group for the last 8 year's. He has now received a letter from the DWP advising he stopped getting DLA 5 Years ago. Due to this he has been overpaid ESA and the DWP are demanding he repays this money back! No one has wrote to him until now, five years later. Can anyone advise where we can get correct information regarding this issue! Does DLA effect ESA payment. Hope anyone can help!

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @womble6952 I will pass this onto our @BenefitsTrainingCo to see if they can help!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi womble6952,

When a claimant is in receipt of DLA middle or higher rate care component, it means they may be entitled to a severe disability premium on their ESA, if for example, they live alone and don't have a carer claiming CA for them. It may be that this premium, which is part of ESA, is what has been overpaid. Apart from that, DLA payments doesn't affect ESA at all. 
    If he is not happy with the decision he is entitled to ask for a full explanation and ask for a mandatory reconsideration and an appeal. If the overpayment is as a result of official error then the DWP have no legal right to ask for any money back. You said that he has been getting DLA for the last 8 years then later on said that it stopped 5 years ago so I am a bit unsure as to what actually has happened with his DLA, but still the same rule above applies. Good luck with it, it may be that he could do with seeing a local adviser face to face for practical assistance with this issue.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• womble6952
    womble6952 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks for the information regarding ESA & DLA.
    I have visited Disability Stockport with my Stepson and introduced him to an adviser their. We have also written back to ESA regarding a Mandatory Reconsideration. I have also requested i become an appointee on behalf of my stepson, due to his learning difficulties. No one will speak to me unless my stepson is present. We live in different parts of the country, this does not help!
    I have downloaded, Find out how to request your personal information pack and, will read it with great interest! especially the part about the WAR (Work available report) i am trying to find out who made the official error! DWP or ESA for failing to act. 
    I will post any outcome regarding this issue.
    Once again thank you for your valuable help
    Regards
    Womble6952

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.