How would the plastic straw ban affect you?
Hi everyone, I'm James, Head of Policy and Campaigns here at Scope and this is my first post!
Last month the Government announced its intention to ban a range of disposable plastics, including straws, to protect the environment from pollution.
The Government have said they will consult on the proposed ban later this year.
We know that for some disabled people, plastic straws are an important utensil to living independently and other materials don’t always match up.
Importantly, the Department for the Environment, Farming and Rural Affairs have said that they intend to include a range of exemptions to the ban, including the need to use of plastic straws for medical reasons. It’s important this remains the case so that disabled people who rely on plastic straws aren’t disadvantaged.
Ahead of the consultation, me and the team would love to hear your views on the proposals and your experiences.
Look forward to hearing and reading your responses.
- 53.1K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 762 Work and employment
- 579 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 278 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.3K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.5K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 929 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments