How would the plastic straw ban affect you? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How would the plastic straw ban affect you?

2»

Comments

• CathyMc
    CathyMc Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I think if we can get metal straws with a brush for £3 we should all be using them!!!! 
  • Gaina
    Gaina Community member Posts: 133 Pioneering
    What about reusable straws?

They're OK, it's just the single use ones that are being banned. ?
  • mellynicholson
    mellynicholson Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I suffer with extreme tremors so getting a drink to mouth is nearly impossible! I rely on straws to drink anything. I would be willing to stop using plastic straws with a good replacement. I've tried paper ones but they disinigrate very quickly especially in hot drinks. Metal were ok on that front but with a head tremor I found it rather painful when getting smacked by it! I've even attempted pasta straws very weird. I think a suitable replacement needs to be found first. Xx
  • Gaina
    Gaina Community member Posts: 133 Pioneering
    I suffer with extreme tremors so getting a drink to mouth is nearly impossible! I rely on straws to drink anything. I would be willing to stop using plastic straws with a good replacement. I've tried paper ones but they disinigrate very quickly especially in hot drinks. Metal were ok on that front but with a head tremor I found it rather painful when getting smacked by it! I've even attempted pasta straws very weird. I think a suitable replacement needs to be found first. Xx
    I was in Marks and Spencer today at the restaurant and I got my drink with what I thought was a reusable plastic straw, but it was actually paper!  Next time I'm in town I'll go in the food hall and see if they're for sale and report back. :)
  • Webbis
    Webbis Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    These are brilliant:
    They are made from ground seashells and are compostable.  I think they may not go through the dishwasher as many times as plastic but they've survived so far.

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Would you like to have your say on the consultation on the proposed ban on plastic straws?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • benjamintolmer
    benjamintolmer Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    It affects, everything has its own role and by replacing it with another can give a change, but it is needed for a person who is not able to take any drink without it so, reusable one is a smart idea. Yes, this ban is for us and for our society so we have to encourage them.
  • sam12
    sam12 Posts: 1,338 Pioneering
    Stock up. I have plastic straws from. China. 
  • sam12
    sam12 Posts: 1,338 Pioneering
    I stock up mine
  • magunra2k
    magunra2k Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    A straw is just a tube, the ban is to reduce the amount of straws we throw away, we have turned into a wastefull society, if you need a straw to drink then buy a suitable alternative to disposables, you wouldn't eat all your meals off plastic picnic plates and only use plastic throw away cutlery so why would you do the same for a drinking straw?
  • Sam_Alumni
    edited April 2019
    Many people are totally reliant on using straws to drink. The point that many disabled people make @magunra2k is that there arent good alternatives at the minute. 
    The options seem to be
    Metal straws
    Paper
    Silicone
    Reusable plastic
    Compostable straw.

These all have different pros and cons but one of the biggest would be cost, disabled people on average face costs of £583 a month more than a non disabled person - is it fair to add yet another cost onto them?

I do think that looking at straw use is a positive thing, it has made me reconsider whether I ever need to use a straw again! I have no additional needs that require me using a straw and that is the case for most people so if we can reduce our waste in this way, I personally think it is a great thing.

BUT I think we need to be extremely mindful of those who need straws to survive every day, this ban shouldnt mean that they are negatively impacted.

Scope
  • magunra2k
    magunra2k Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    How are those not good alternatives to disposable plastic straws? The only difference between those options and a disposable plastic straw is that they can be either reused or thrown away without killing wildlife? You seem to be looking for a an issue where there isn't one.
    My daughter needs a straw to drink, we have used paper ones exclusively for years. There is no issue.
  • Sam_Alumni
    edited April 2019
    Hi @magunra2k
    I am not looking for issues, I am just letting you know what some disabled people are saying.

Metal straws -
    55pinkroses said:
    Everyone who suggests that disabled people should use metal straws instead of plastic seem to have never seen or met a disabled person? Not only do metal straws require meticulous handling/cleaning but if you have mobility issues/spasms metal straws can hurt you and can't bend.

Paper straws - 
    Alison_Beevers says:
    It’s very difficult for my son who has #CerebralPalsy to drink through a paper straw. #Cafe #Restaurants #Bars please have a small stash of #plastic straws for your #disabled customers. It’s becoming so much harder when we forget to take our own

Silicone straws - 
    Unicornthorn says:
    Seriously. I've tried using reusable straws. I have such little energy that I genuinely cannot clean them often enough. Silicone straws are so goddamn hard to clean.

Scope

Brightness