Can you claim carers if in ESA support and get PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can you claim carers if in ESA support and get PIP?

chrisyy
chrisyy Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Can u claim carers for urself if in esa support and standard daily pip 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @chrisyy Pleased to meet you welcome.

I am not sure of an answer. Understand if you have a look at benefits posts or threads might find answers there.

Also one our team or the community will know.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,911 Disability Gamechanger
    chrisyy said:
    Can u claim carers for urself if in esa support and standard daily pip 
    No, you can't claim Carers Allowance for looking after yourself.

If you live alone (no other adults living with you) unless they claim PIP daily living or mid/high rate care DLA then you could claim Severe disability premium on top of your ESA.

So the question is, do you live alone?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    chrisyy ,

Exactly as Mike says, for yourself, no. For another person who is on DLA middle or higher rate care component, Attendance Allowance, or PIP daily living, yes, if you care for them for at least 35 hours a week.

However, before doing this you should get advice as your claiming Carer's Allowance could affect the other person's benefits. It's also possible in some case for it to make the DWP question why you are in the support group, although it shouldn't necessarily do this - it depends on lots of things. For example, you might have physical difficulties but be able to care for another person in other ways.

As Poppy points out, a common confusion is with Carer's Allowance and the severe disability premium. If you live alone (no other adults) and no one is getting carer's allowance for you, then it is worth checking whether you are getting the right amount of income-related ESA. It should include the SDP, and if it doesn't, it's worth asking about it (and getting it backdated if you have been entitled to it for some time).

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.