Time to try claim again — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Time to try claim again

kieranr92 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I have brain damage which caused hormone deficiency which i have great difficulty with liquid retention basicaly im dehydrated all the time and have bad migraines. I also have Generalised anxiety disorder and hip damage from perthese disease as a child.

I went to university and my attendance was low but understood by teachers because of my illness.

After uni I tried to claim PIP (I was getting dla until 16 but I lost it when I didn't apply again). I failed the assessment and was so upset by it that I haven't decided to claim again untill now.

I have been living by help of my partner and occasionally I can get a part time job to help with bills but these don't last usually 2 month before I have to quit because I can't keep going.

Long story short I really need this I have tried being financially independent through work but end up recovering for 6 month after. I want to work though and put my university course to use.

Thing is I don't even know where to start because I was so knocked back before by the assosor before. 

Any advice please?


  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Connected
    Given how PIP is now conducted and your previous failure in claiming PIP, your first point of call should be at CAB or similar.
    You will have to start the claim off yourself via a telephone call and then you will receive a large form to complete - get help with completing it.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    You can't backdate PIP claims, so the sooner you get started the better. I think Yadnad's advice of starting the claim yourself is good, from that point of view. If you can get help with completing the form, then do - you'll usually have to book an appointment to go through it, as it takes a while.

    Another thing to think about is just getting some understanding of how PIP works. It's not about your conditions, but how they affect you and what you can or cannot do. Without knowing more about you, it's hard to say what points you would score, but you could have a look at the PIP self test here.

    The other thing to think about is that from what you say, not being able to work on a long-term basis is a big problem for you. So it may be that you also need to claim Universal Credit and/or Employment and Support Allowance/Housing Benefit (this depends on issues such as where you live, how recently you've worked & what you were earning, and what your partner earns now, as well as your joint savings, if any). There's also a benefit called Council Tax Reduction or Council Tax Support, which might help, but again given that your partner works I don't know if you would be entitled.

    PIP is a benefit for the extra costs of disability, whereas Universal Credit/ESA are the benefits supposed to help you if you are not able to work just now. If you do approach the CAB, that could be useful as they could help you to consider whether you should be claiming other benefits, not just PIP.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.