Cuts to my support and benefits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cuts to my support and benefits

thgun
thgun Community member Posts: 10 Connected
edited June 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
In 2010 I lost my support worker and slowly lost entitlement to other services. I have disthymia and I rapid cycle,  hear voices self harm paranoia etc. all I have is my GP and Psychiatrist since our support group was closed due to funding in 2017. I am not entitled to any community care plan. In 2015 my DLA came to an end and I cant get PIP without appealing and then I only got low mobility. I finally got paid in 2017 after the DWP conyested the court decision. Then I was re assessed in October and I beleive my assessment was falsifyed. Why because I said when asked I needed promting or nothing gets done and I have 3 good days out of 7. This includes eating cooking etc but when I got my assessment back they had ticked the box saying I needed no promting or aids. They said I was calm no signs of anxiety. I was fidgeting and shacking my right leg this my sign of anxiety. I was not aware I hsd to perform like a seal in a Circus.

Since this last assessment I have now lost my award as my assessment got me no points and they would not accept my award given in court which was contested by the DWP. And they now say my circumstances have changed  The assessors words were when I went to show the award letter was, I'm here to assess you not read letters and I should have submited that letter. My award was not due to end until September this year. I was awarded low rate mobility as I am unable to drive and I have issues  public transport  24/7 due to anixiety and panic,  therefor limiting me whete I can work if it is only part time. And its been like that since claiming DLA. Now I'm being forced to appeal to get my award back as I was told by the Leicestershire Community Advice and Law Service who are helping me said I have been assessed to early and so have many others. At the same times as I appealed  my PIP assessmrnt where I scored 2 points for wearing an hearing aid in 2016 I was too made redundant after 24 years in my part time job. I'm currently in voluntary part time work because there was a threat I could lose my esa,  and I could not live off UC. These threats trigger thoughts of self harm and suiced everytime its mentioned or a brown envelope drops on the mat. I have  become scared of the DWP and I am unable to submit substancale medical evidence letters for these PIP assessments as I cant afford the £60 pound gp fee. And I have to go it alone with these assessments. So its their word against mine.

Comments

• Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Hi @thgun, I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this and that you're not able to get the support you need.

If you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org

You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself.

If you feel that you may be an immediate danger to yourself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital right away.

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi thgun,

It sounds as though you are receiving practical assistance with your case so that is good, but you need to make sure those that are helping you have gone through the descriptors with you and identified what points you should score. You should score points if your satisfy a descriptor for more than 50% of the time.
    Although the mandatory reconsideration decision may not change and you may need to go to an appeal, at least all this will be set out before you go to a tribunal.
    I can see you have been to a tribunal before but so many claimants have successful appeals because these assessments are so poor so please try and look on the bright side because in my experience the tribunals more often than not don't think these assessments are worth the paper they are written on. 
    I understand the GP will charge for a letter but maybe the psychiatrist can do a letter for you about your health issues and how they affect you.
    In terms of the DWP stopping you money, they have superseded the original decision and the only way they can do that is to prove that a relevant change of circumstances has taken place ie your health has improved and your needs reduced. In the main tribunals generally decide that the DWP has not proven this and the burden of proof where a supersession has been made is on the DWP.
    I know it will take 6 months or more to get this case heard at an appeal but I hope it all goes well for you and that you get the outcome you deserve.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• sam12
    sam12 Posts: 1,338 Pioneering
    Is visible self harming scarfs proof of depression on a claim for pip 
  • sam12
    sam12 Posts: 1,338 Pioneering
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Geee I presume that if a suicide intent actually results in the death of the claimant the DWP would rightly turn round and say that even if he had survived he/she would not have been awarded any points for mental health issues.

So if someone gets 7 points and then they commit suicide through utter desperation and depression - that's OK with the DWP?  

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.