Will I have to look for work? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Will I have to look for work?

Roberts1 Member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi I'm new to this group but have a question I'm a full time cater to my son who is 21 and I have to go to a work focus interview,because he goes to a day centre 4 times a week will I have to look for work??


  • aaronw3440
    aaronw3440 Member Posts: 54 Connected
    edited June 2018
    If you're his carer for 35 hours a week then no but if you care for him less than 35 hours a week then yes you will need to look for work as you're technically no longer his carer you have to care for the person 35+ hours and if it' under 35 hours you will lose your carers allowance 
  • Roberts1
    Roberts1 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi yes I do look after him for more than 35 hours per week 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering


    What benefits are you claiming yourself? If you are on ESA, then you don't have to look for jobs. If you are a carer on Carer's Allowance, then that doesn't require you to look for jobs either. 

    If you get Income Support as a carer, then you can be asked to go for work-focused interviews every now and then, but again, you can't be required to look for work.

    Finally, there's Universal Credit, which you might be on - but if you are a full-time carer (35 hours or more) & your son is on PIP daily living or DLA middle or higher rate care, you should not have to do anything at all, and you certainly shouldn't have to look for work.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • Roberts1
    Roberts1 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi im just on income support and carers allowance as I look after my disabled son,I just worry that if I have to get a job what would I do about my son as he can't be left on his own he is autistic and has learning disabilities,I have no surport network at home I'm a lone parent with my disabled son and his younger brother thank you


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.