Will I have to look for work? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will I have to look for work?

Options
Roberts1
Roberts1 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi I'm new to this group but have a question I'm a full time cater to my son who is 21 and I have to go to a work focus interview,because he goes to a day centre 4 times a week will I have to look for work??

Comments

• aaronw3440
    aaronw3440 Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    edited June 2018
    Options
    If you're his carer for 35 hours a week then no but if you care for him less than 35 hours a week then yes you will need to look for work as you're technically no longer his carer you have to care for the person 35+ hours and if it' under 35 hours you will lose your carers allowance 
  • Roberts1
    Options
    Hi yes I do look after him for more than 35 hours per week 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Roberts1
    Roberts1,

What benefits are you claiming yourself? If you are on ESA, then you don't have to look for jobs. If you are a carer on Carer's Allowance, then that doesn't require you to look for jobs either. 

If you get Income Support as a carer, then you can be asked to go for work-focused interviews every now and then, but again, you can't be required to look for work.

Finally, there's Universal Credit, which you might be on - but if you are a full-time carer (35 hours or more) & your son is on PIP daily living or DLA middle or higher rate care, you should not have to do anything at all, and you certainly shouldn't have to look for work.

Will 
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Roberts1
    Options
    Hi im just on income support and carers allowance as I look after my disabled son,I just worry that if I have to get a job what would I do about my son as he can't be left on his own he is autistic and has learning disabilities,I have no surport network at home I'm a lone parent with my disabled son and his younger brother thank you

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.