Parents and carers
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Power of attorney

sheila01sheila01 Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2018 in Parents and carers
Hi,

My daughter is about to turn 18 and it has been recommended that I be given power of attorney to manage her money/ benefits and affairs etc.  

I understand the concept, but don't have a clue about the details.

Would anyone be able to give me some links to begin exploring please?  Should I take legal advice?  I'm completely in uncharted waters here!!!

Many thanks

Sheila

Replies

• steve51steve51 Community champion Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shelia01

Welcome & Good Evening.

It’s great to meet you today.

I would be very very happy in helping you with things??

Please please let me how you feel ???
  • AlexAlex Posts: 1,325 Scope community team
    Hi @Shelia01,

Welcome to the community. We have a page on our website about power of attorney that might help?
  • JennysDadJennysDad Member Posts: 2,308 Pioneering
    Hello @sheila01 and a warm - if slightly delayed - welcome to the community. Sorry it has taken  me a few days, but I've been fumbling about looking for information - I recently signed LPA forms for somebody and wanted to check with them how the forms were obtained.
    Anyway, the crucial thing is probably this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/make-a-lasting-power-of-attorney
    The key thing is that it is the government website and not some lawyer's set-up to make more money for themselves, and it contains pretty much everything you might need to know.
    There is, I believe, a fee payable to register Powers of Authority, but done this way it goes to the required government department without adding anything to some lawyer's bank balance. All I think you need to do is to download the forms you want, in the format you want, complete them and return them. I understand the forms are pretty much self-explanatory.
    Ignore any references to 'Enduring Power of Attorney/EPA' - it's an older system, replaced by the 'Lasting Power/LPA'
    Please let me know if this helps, and don't hesitate to get back to me with any questions.
    Warmest best wishes, and apologies again for the delay,
    Richard
    @JennysDad

Sign in or join us to comment.