Power of attorney — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Power of attorney

sheila01
sheila01 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi,

My daughter is about to turn 18 and it has been recommended that I be given power of attorney to manage her money/ benefits and affairs etc.  

I understand the concept, but don't have a clue about the details.

Would anyone be able to give me some links to begin exploring please?  Should I take legal advice?  I'm completely in uncharted waters here!!!

Many thanks

Sheila

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shelia01

Welcome & Good Evening.

It’s great to meet you today.

I would be very very happy in helping you with things??

Please please let me how you feel ???
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @Shelia01,

Welcome to the community. We have a page on our website about power of attorney that might help?
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @sheila01 and a warm - if slightly delayed - welcome to the community. Sorry it has taken  me a few days, but I've been fumbling about looking for information - I recently signed LPA forms for somebody and wanted to check with them how the forms were obtained.
    Anyway, the crucial thing is probably this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/make-a-lasting-power-of-attorney
    The key thing is that it is the government website and not some lawyer's set-up to make more money for themselves, and it contains pretty much everything you might need to know.
    There is, I believe, a fee payable to register Powers of Authority, but done this way it goes to the required government department without adding anything to some lawyer's bank balance. All I think you need to do is to download the forms you want, in the format you want, complete them and return them. I understand the forms are pretty much self-explanatory.
    Ignore any references to 'Enduring Power of Attorney/EPA' - it's an older system, replaced by the 'Lasting Power/LPA'
    Please let me know if this helps, and don't hesitate to get back to me with any questions.
    Warmest best wishes, and apologies again for the delay,
    Richard
    @JennysDad

Brightness