Housing benefit — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Housing benefit

david22 Member Posts: 3 Listener
I got a letter this week from council asking about our son who finished college last summer. The letter asked for me to give details about his work etc, well I gave them this info last September because it was a change of circumstances, as we stopped getting child benefit. I get the daily living living component of PIP so my benefits are not reduced when having a non dependant living with me and my wife. I phoned The council and they said they didn't receive my letter, I have sent them a letter today giving them the info asked for but am worried that as they didn't receive my September letter things could get complicated, though I haven't received any benefits I am not entitled to, I have not committed any benefit fraud, it has taken 8 months for the council to write to me, for me to be aware of this, I am bipolar and disabled due to a road traffic accident 15 years ago and don't need this stress, anyone been in a similar situation?


  • feir
    feir Member Posts: 395 Pioneering
    edited June 2018
    I know you only have 4 weeks to get backdated money so if you think you aren't getting enough benefits you would only be able to get 4 weeks of what they owed you.

    If you have been overpaid they will likely just ask for that back and not bother taking you to court or anything unless you ignored any requests for money, you would have to arrange with them what you could afford to pay and how often you'd pay it.
  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,415 Disability Gamechanger
    Morning david22, and all scope members, there is a lesson to be learnt here. Having sent information in  worried if it has arrived, a phone call to check that it has been received will, and would have saved a lot of worry and stress. If sending information to DWP leave a few weeks before phoning as all mail goes to a central processing Center before the call Center can acess the information to let you know it has arrived, received.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.