Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

PIP and "physical problems with public transport" do not count?

AprilApril Member Posts: 98 Courageous
Hello,
My daughter has just been told that "physical problems with public transport" do not qualify under the category of "Planning and following a journey" in the Mobility part of PIP. She has a learning disability and balance problems and is terrified of buses and trains. She is provided with a taxi to college by the borough. She was also told that the fact she is provided with a taxi by the borough does not qualify her either. I am so confused by this. Can anyone tell me if this is correct?

Replies

• nettyb62nettyb62 Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hiya, I had this as well.i can't make it to the bus stop and I'm never out that long.
  • whistleswhistles Member Posts: 1,603 Disability Gamechanger
    There are two elements to mobility. Mental health does apply to planning.
    You can supply evidence to back up why you can't do something and what happens if you don't get that help. 
    But as an example I am in warden supported accommodation, I was assessed to require it, I receive no care from pip. 

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2018
    Hi,

That is correct. Planning and following is journey is aimed at those with mental health. Moving around part of mobility PIP is for those with physical conditions. If your daughter doesn't have issues with her mobility then she won't score any points in the moving around part. You would need to concentrate on the following and planning a journey part of mobility. Does she go out anywhere alone, or does she need someone with her when she goes? This link explains the following and planning a journey.

Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • AprilApril Member Posts: 98 Courageous
    Thank you so much. That is so helpful!
Sign in or join us to comment.