PIP and "physical problems with public transport" do not count? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and "physical problems with public transport" do not count?

April
April Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
Hello,
My daughter has just been told that "physical problems with public transport" do not qualify under the category of "Planning and following a journey" in the Mobility part of PIP. She has a learning disability and balance problems and is terrified of buses and trains. She is provided with a taxi to college by the borough. She was also told that the fact she is provided with a taxi by the borough does not qualify her either. I am so confused by this. Can anyone tell me if this is correct?

Comments

• nettyb62
    nettyb62 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Hiya, I had this as well.i can't make it to the bus stop and I'm never out that long.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    There are two elements to mobility. Mental health does apply to planning.
    You can supply evidence to back up why you can't do something and what happens if you don't get that help. 
    But as an example I am in warden supported accommodation, I was assessed to require it, I receive no care from pip. 

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2018
    Hi,

That is correct. Planning and following is journey is aimed at those with mental health. Moving around part of mobility PIP is for those with physical conditions. If your daughter doesn't have issues with her mobility then she won't score any points in the moving around part. You would need to concentrate on the following and planning a journey part of mobility. Does she go out anywhere alone, or does she need someone with her when she goes? This link explains the following and planning a journey.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • April
    April Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
    Thank you so much. That is so helpful!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.