PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

PIP decisions and mandatory reconsiderations

gilliansidney557gilliansidney557 Member Posts: 16 Connected
I have asked DWP for a MR on my pip decision because they did not give the right points score, has anyone else suffered the same issues

Replies

• YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    1,000's have been there too.
  • gilliansidney557gilliansidney557 Member Posts: 16 Connected
    Yes I have been reading them, I am hoping they change it to enhance rate as I will lose my mobility car which would be devestating to me.
    Yes I have been reading them, I am hoping they change it to enhance rate as I will lose my mobility car which would be devestating to me.
    methinks that 1,000's also had the same hope and aspirations.
    I started off with DLA - High Mobility & Care. and had a Motability car.
    That was handed back after I failed the transfer to PIP. Then won the reconsideration and got another car. Then the second re-assessment came about which also saw that car returned. I won on reconsideration and got another car. The third re-assessment also saw the car go back again and at that point I gave up.
    All in all in over the past 5 years I have had three Motability cars taken off me. Now I get friends/family to run us about plus use the bus sometimes. 
    If I was you I would not give up as this is given in to the DWP and this goverment, why should you give in to them. DON’T quit.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Only 20% of MR decisions change, so expect to have to take it to Tribunal. Good luck.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    Yes thank you poppy, I hope it goes ok keep my fingers crossed
    I have got my pip award back after the mandatory reconsideration, but sadly they did not change the decision, motability car went back last thursday(9/8/18), I recieved the transition payment today monday 13/8/18, I am gutted it was a lifeline to me.
  • PinPin Member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    Will you take it to appeal?
    No I have decided not too, as the stress you go through would be too much for me to cope with, my oldest son lends me his car when I need it.
    I have got my pip award back after the mandatory reconsideration, but sadly they did not change the decision, motability car went back last thursday(9/8/18), I recieved the transition payment today monday 13/8/18, I am gutted it was a lifeline to me.
    ...and to many others including myself.
    No I have decided not too, as the stress you go through would be too much for me to cope with, my oldest son lends me his car when I need it.

I don't blame you
    Yes so many have lost their cars, this goverment is hell bent on punishing the sick and disabled.
    edited August 2018
    Yes so many have lost their cars, this goverment is hell bent on punishing the sick and disabled.
    To be honest I doubt very much that the DWP see it that way.
    It isn't personal. the government want to cut down the amount of money that they are paying out. In this case it just happens to be the disabled and sick.

If you do want to blame anybody then I would suggest that you start with the banks with their risky lending attitude over the years to when the crash happened.
    Not forgetting the Labour party that were keen to spend more than what they were getting in taxes etc.
    Yes it seems to stem from years ago but the sick and disabled who are suffering the most and I am a labour supporter and have been for years. This need to change.
  • MatildaMatilda Member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    @gilliansidney557

Despite the stress, It's usually worth appealing as 71% succeed.  Tribunal increased my award from standard to enhanced both components.  Quite a lot more money.
  • april123april123 Member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    @gilliansidney557 I was in the same position but didn't take the money for returning car and appealed I was scared and thought I won't get appeal through before car due back in Oct. But the DWP decided to change thier mind gave me enhanced back and stopped appeal.  Now I'm in process of sorting out car refund etc with mobility took a big risk. But miracles can happen.

You get £1.000 to return mobility car towards another car first date, or 1/4  ammount iIthink if  you return on second if your appealing. That would give you chance to remain on mobility if appeal successful.
    Matilda said:
    @gilliansidney557

Despite the stress, It's usually worth appealing as 71% succeed.  Tribunal increased my award from standard to enhanced both components.  Quite a lot more money.
    It's 71% only if you are legally represented.
    If you go it alone the success rate falls to below 50%
  • susan48susan48 Member Posts: 2,229 Disability Gamechanger
    I didn’t have legal representation and won my appeal so appealing if you cannot get help is still worth it, in my opinion 
    edited August 2018
    susan48 said:
    I didn’t have legal representation and won my appeal so appealing if you cannot get help is still worth it, in my opinion 
    Of course it is if you have the strength both mentally and physically to cope with it. I was only pointing out that you have at least a further 22% chance of success if you are represented.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    april123 said:
    You get £1.000 to return mobility car towards another car first date, or 1/4  ammount iIthink if  you return on second if your appealing. That would give you chance to remain on mobility if appeal successful.
    That depends on the length of time you've been with motability, some people won't qualify for this.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    It's not feasible for everyone but I think if people can they should buy their own cars - because of so many losing their enhanced mobility.  Some dealers will give five years' interest-free credit on new car purchases.

Yes but a person has to be in a good financial position to qualify for car credit to be able to buy their own new car, not everyone can do that.
    True, but they might be able to buy a second-hand car.  As, I've said, not everyone will be able to, but I suggest if they can they buy their own car rather than run the risk of losing their Motability car.  There is story after story on here of people losing their enhanced mobility.  Many get it back on appeal but this can take up to a year.
    Yes I know that, thankfully my oldest son is allowing me to use his car as I am on his insurance to use it and it works out cheaper than buying my own.
    Not everyone can afford to run a car but mobility gives you more sucurity if anything goes wrong. I was expecting to hand mine back in Oct. I believe they give extra time in hope appeal done and dusted. But it needs to be looked at again as there are so many appeals now due to how we are being treated it is taking for Eva. So mobility cars are having to be returned befour appeal living you in limbo not knowing which way to go buy your own wait and see like I say limbo.
    My mobility car has already gone back, I was only given till 21st august to qualify for transition payment of £2000, so decided to return to get that money, use my son’s car which is cheaper than buying my own.
    They gave me 2 dates 1st was June for £2000 or Oct for £500 choose 2 date and to try for appeal not realalizing how long appeals where at the time.  I am still in shock that they overturned from standard to enhance after recieving letter to go for appeal. Why they didn't just change at MR. I'm sorry you have had to return the car and having to go through appeal emotions run wild durring this process. My finger are crossed for you good luck xx
  • ShlblyShlbly Member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    I lost my car October 2017, had a mobility car since 2009, kept it for the extra six months as thought it would all be sorted out, but no lost my paper based appeal March 2018, so only got the £500. Live where there is no train station, cannot use buses, and mental health took a nose dive, which impacted on physical health. Second time of losing car down to Atos, first time they stopped everything in 2012 IB to ESA.  Just had another assessment 8.8.18, but do not want another mobility car as to scared of what might happen again. Savings all gone to make up money lost each month. Not holding out a lot of hope re assessment as all these people lie. My Doctor and Psychiatrist are not happy with all this, as is my local Councillor who attended assessment with me as lost advocate due to funding. When will this all end?
    I am not doing any appeal as too stressfull for me. There is no guarentee any way, big risk.
    I understand I felt the same CAB was not helpful as I had been stalking the web sites and had encouragement from those that had been there i seemed to have more knowledge of PIP than he did lol. Still so unfair the ammount of DLA to PIP losing independence is wrong.  Hope you are feeling more relaxed it's over for now xx
    Yes I am a bit more relaxed for now but it anoying that so many people like us are losing their motability cars, so far 75,000 motability cars have gone back to motability, this in my eyes is wrong I think the dwp are corrupt and liers just to save money, they don’t care about sick disabled people.
    Yes I am a bit more relaxed for now but it anoying that so many people like us are losing their motability cars, so far 75,000 motability cars have gone back to motability, this in my eyes is wrong I think the dwp are corrupt and liers just to save money, they don’t care about sick disabled people.
    Over the past 5 years and three face to face PIP assessments later I have had three Motability cars go back.
    I gave up after the 3rd decision and have decided to stop driving. 
    I don’t want to stop driving, I still enjoy it too much.
    I don’t want to stop driving, I still enjoy it too much.
    So did I and the independence that it gave us. But with that history behind me and expecting the same until I die (i'm 70) the future was bleak.
    On the assumption that history would repeat itself and I died aged 90 that would be another 10 face to face assessments to go through and another 10 Motability cars having to be returned.
    Fine if that’s your choice, I am going to wait and see how things pan out, I have the use of my sons car, so I am not to bad at the moment.
    Fine if that’s your choice, 
    It wasn't a choice that I made willingly, it was more a choice that was being forced on me by the DWP.

Yes same hear it wasn’t a choice I made willingly either, it was a choice forced on me too by the DWP, terrible lot.
Sign in or join us to comment.