PIP decisions and mandatory reconsiderations - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP decisions and mandatory reconsiderations

2»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    april123 said:
    You get £1.000 to return mobility car towards another car first date, or 1/4  ammount iIthink if  you return on second if your appealing. That would give you chance to remain on mobility if appeal successful.
    That depends on the length of time you've been with motability, some people won't qualify for this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    It's not feasible for everyone but I think if people can they should buy their own cars - because of so many losing their enhanced mobility.  Some dealers will give five years' interest-free credit on new car purchases.

• gilliansidney557
    gilliansidney557 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Yes but a person has to be in a good financial position to qualify for car credit to be able to buy their own new car, not everyone can do that.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    True, but they might be able to buy a second-hand car.  As, I've said, not everyone will be able to, but I suggest if they can they buy their own car rather than run the risk of losing their Motability car.  There is story after story on here of people losing their enhanced mobility.  Many get it back on appeal but this can take up to a year.
  • gilliansidney557
    Yes I know that, thankfully my oldest son is allowing me to use his car as I am on his insurance to use it and it works out cheaper than buying my own.
  • april123
    april123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    Not everyone can afford to run a car but mobility gives you more sucurity if anything goes wrong. I was expecting to hand mine back in Oct. I believe they give extra time in hope appeal done and dusted. But it needs to be looked at again as there are so many appeals now due to how we are being treated it is taking for Eva. So mobility cars are having to be returned befour appeal living you in limbo not knowing which way to go buy your own wait and see like I say limbo.
  • gilliansidney557
    My mobility car has already gone back, I was only given till 21st august to qualify for transition payment of £2000, so decided to return to get that money, use my son’s car which is cheaper than buying my own.
  • april123
    They gave me 2 dates 1st was June for £2000 or Oct for £500 choose 2 date and to try for appeal not realalizing how long appeals where at the time.  I am still in shock that they overturned from standard to enhance after recieving letter to go for appeal. Why they didn't just change at MR. I'm sorry you have had to return the car and having to go through appeal emotions run wild durring this process. My finger are crossed for you good luck xx
  • Shlbly
    Shlbly Community member Posts: 136 Pioneering
    I lost my car October 2017, had a mobility car since 2009, kept it for the extra six months as thought it would all be sorted out, but no lost my paper based appeal March 2018, so only got the £500. Live where there is no train station, cannot use buses, and mental health took a nose dive, which impacted on physical health. Second time of losing car down to Atos, first time they stopped everything in 2012 IB to ESA.  Just had another assessment 8.8.18, but do not want another mobility car as to scared of what might happen again. Savings all gone to make up money lost each month. Not holding out a lot of hope re assessment as all these people lie. My Doctor and Psychiatrist are not happy with all this, as is my local Councillor who attended assessment with me as lost advocate due to funding. When will this all end?
  • gilliansidney557
    I am not doing any appeal as too stressfull for me. There is no guarentee any way, big risk.
  • april123
    I understand I felt the same CAB was not helpful as I had been stalking the web sites and had encouragement from those that had been there i seemed to have more knowledge of PIP than he did lol. Still so unfair the ammount of DLA to PIP losing independence is wrong.  Hope you are feeling more relaxed it's over for now xx
  • gilliansidney557
    Yes I am a bit more relaxed for now but it anoying that so many people like us are losing their motability cars, so far 75,000 motability cars have gone back to motability, this in my eyes is wrong I think the dwp are corrupt and liers just to save money, they don’t care about sick disabled people.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes I am a bit more relaxed for now but it anoying that so many people like us are losing their motability cars, so far 75,000 motability cars have gone back to motability, this in my eyes is wrong I think the dwp are corrupt and liers just to save money, they don’t care about sick disabled people.
    Over the past 5 years and three face to face PIP assessments later I have had three Motability cars go back.
    I gave up after the 3rd decision and have decided to stop driving. 
  • gilliansidney557
    I don’t want to stop driving, I still enjoy it too much.
  • Yadnad
    I don’t want to stop driving, I still enjoy it too much.
    So did I and the independence that it gave us. But with that history behind me and expecting the same until I die (i'm 70) the future was bleak.
    On the assumption that history would repeat itself and I died aged 90 that would be another 10 face to face assessments to go through and another 10 Motability cars having to be returned.
  • gilliansidney557
    Fine if that’s your choice, I am going to wait and see how things pan out, I have the use of my sons car, so I am not to bad at the moment.
  • Yadnad
    Fine if that’s your choice, 
    It wasn't a choice that I made willingly, it was more a choice that was being forced on me by the DWP.

• gilliansidney557
    Yes same hear it wasn’t a choice I made willingly either, it was a choice forced on me too by the DWP, terrible lot.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.