Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.
PIP Descriptors b. b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to either prepare or cook a simple
b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to
either prepare or cook a simple meal. 2 Points
Can someone help verify a query for me, please, regarding the above PIP descriptor.
If someone suffers from COPD, which causes breathing limitations, and cannot use a conventional cooker because the heat, fumes and smoke from a cooking hob/oven make their breathing problems worse, which means a conventional cooker is not safe to use for them. So instead they use a Halogen Oven (which keeps all the heat, fumes, smoke, etc, confined within it's glass bowl) and/or microwave are to cook.
Then do these two above count as being an aid/appliances, as they are: ‘any device which improves, provides or replaces [the claimant’s] impaired physical or mental function’ ?
- 48.1K All Categories
- 9.6K Start here and say hello!
- 3.8K Coffee lounge
- 3.9K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.4K News and opportunities
- 134 Community updates
- 11.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.6K Children, parents, and families
- 608 Work and employment
- 509 Education
- 926 Housing, transport, and independent living
- 903 Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 236 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 245 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 19K Talk about money
- 1.7K Benefits and financial support
- 4.2K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 11.2K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 1.9K Universal Credit (UC)
- 3.5K Talk about your impairment
- 1.2K Cerebral palsy
- 573 Chronic pain and pain management
- 631 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 681 Autism and neurodiversity
- 814 Mental health and wellbeing
- 282 Sensory impairments
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.