PIP Descriptors b. b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to either prepare or cook a simple
b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to
either prepare or cook a simple meal. 2 Points
Can someone help verify a query for me, please, regarding the above PIP descriptor.
If someone suffers from COPD, which causes breathing limitations, and cannot use a conventional cooker because the heat, fumes and smoke from a cooking hob/oven make their breathing problems worse, which means a conventional cooker is not safe to use for them. So instead they use a Halogen Oven (which keeps all the heat, fumes, smoke, etc, confined within it's glass bowl) and/or microwave are to cook.
Then do these two above count as being an aid/appliances, as they are: ‘any device which improves, provides or replaces [the claimant’s] impaired physical or mental function’ ?
- 49.3K All Categories
- 9.8K Start here and say hello!
- 4K Coffee lounge
- 3.9K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.4K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 136 Community updates
- 11.5K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 659 Work and employment
- 526 Education
- 970 Housing, transport, and independent living
- 926 Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 245 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 249 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 19.5K Talk about money
- 1.8K Benefits and financial support
- 4.2K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 11.4K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2K Universal Credit (UC)
- 3.6K Talk about your impairment
- 1.2K Cerebral palsy
- 587 Chronic pain and pain management
- 649 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 703 Autism and neurodiversity
- 847 Mental health and wellbeing
- 287 Sensory impairments
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.