Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Info and advice about Developmental Dyspraxia?

JomirandaJomiranda Member Posts: 12 Connected
edited July 2018 in Disabled people
Just joined hi there, hope to find lots of info & practical advise, with anyone with knowledge on Developmental Dyspraxia(Autistic Spectrum Disorder) Also Recovering phsychosis. Son aged 
28 lives Independantly. I will pop back on site off & on to Chat as i'm Working part time. 

Replies

• Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jomiranda, and a warm welcome to the community! It's great to have you here.

I'm tagging in @parkes83, @susieq58 and @kellyc6 who have discussed similar issues on the community before and will hopefully be able to offer some guidance.
  • JomirandaJomiranda Member Posts: 12 Connected
    Hello & Thank you Pippa
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jomiranda, in the meantime, the Dyspraxia Foundation website has some really good support and guidance which may be worth a look at!
  • Cat39Cat39 Member Posts: 30 Courageous
    I have dyspraxia, I was diagnosed at a pretty young age and would be happy to chat with you about it,  offer advice or anything really.
    hopefully I can be of some help to you.
    Oh thank you v much. I will get back to you later if ok. Moving my Son into a Flat at mo. X
    Hi Cat39 my Son has phoned me yesterday upset/crying saying whats the point in waking up everyday, he'd had a falling out with one of his two friends. We picked him up as worried he was So Low. Today he is in much better spirit & sorted out with his friend too. Was wondering if & how to get a Buddy/Support worker? 
    The Jobcentre want him to prepare for Working & Do Job Club for Universal Credit. Say we Need a Doctor's Note Fit for Work or Not & why. Feels like No-one Understands what its like for Him & Me, So Much Stress to ask these things of my Son & No Support either.
  • Cat39Cat39 Member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Jomiranda said:
    Hi Cat39 my Son has phoned me yesterday upset/crying saying whats the point in waking up everyday, he'd had a falling out with one of his two friends. We picked him up as worried he was So Low. Today he is in much better spirit & sorted out with his friend too. Was wondering if & how to get a Buddy/Support worker? 
    The Jobcentre want him to prepare for Working & Do Job Club for Universal Credit. Say we Need a Doctor's Note Fit for Work or Not & why. Feels like No-one Understands what its like for Him & Me, So Much Stress to ask these things of my Son & No Support either.
    I can't give you much advice about support workers but can link you to places that can help:
    https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/legal-rights/health-and-social-care-rights/#.W0xviWjTVTt

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support/

They may or may not be of use to you and your son, maybe other people here have experience with them who might chime in with there experiences.
    If you don't manage to get him one maybe a pet will help, I've had pets my fully life up until recently and I've always found them to be calming and helpful. Do your research before hand though and see if it's right for your son.

Maybe a trip to your GP might be a good idea, they can advice with this better than I can and they might be some help.
    Yes thank you, booked Gp & going to ask for a Health Social Care Assesment, Cognitive behaviour, hope for a Buddy/Befriend him Supporter.
Sign in or join us to comment.