Info and advice about Developmental Dyspraxia? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Info and advice about Developmental Dyspraxia?

Jomiranda
Jomiranda Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
Just joined hi there, hope to find lots of info & practical advise, with anyone with knowledge on Developmental Dyspraxia(Autistic Spectrum Disorder) Also Recovering phsychosis. Son aged 
28 lives Independantly. I will pop back on site off & on to Chat as i'm Working part time. 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jomiranda, and a warm welcome to the community! It's great to have you here.

I'm tagging in @parkes83, @susieq58 and @kellyc6 who have discussed similar issues on the community before and will hopefully be able to offer some guidance.
  • Jomiranda
    Hello & Thank you Pippa
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jomiranda, in the meantime, the Dyspraxia Foundation website has some really good support and guidance which may be worth a look at!
  • Cat39
    Cat39 Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    I have dyspraxia, I was diagnosed at a pretty young age and would be happy to chat with you about it,  offer advice or anything really.
    hopefully I can be of some help to you.
  • Jomiranda
    Oh thank you v much. I will get back to you later if ok. Moving my Son into a Flat at mo. X
  • Jomiranda
    Hi Cat39 my Son has phoned me yesterday upset/crying saying whats the point in waking up everyday, he'd had a falling out with one of his two friends. We picked him up as worried he was So Low. Today he is in much better spirit & sorted out with his friend too. Was wondering if & how to get a Buddy/Support worker? 
    The Jobcentre want him to prepare for Working & Do Job Club for Universal Credit. Say we Need a Doctor's Note Fit for Work or Not & why. Feels like No-one Understands what its like for Him & Me, So Much Stress to ask these things of my Son & No Support either.
  • Cat39
    Cat39 Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Jomiranda said:
    Hi Cat39 my Son has phoned me yesterday upset/crying saying whats the point in waking up everyday, he'd had a falling out with one of his two friends. We picked him up as worried he was So Low. Today he is in much better spirit & sorted out with his friend too. Was wondering if & how to get a Buddy/Support worker? 
    The Jobcentre want him to prepare for Working & Do Job Club for Universal Credit. Say we Need a Doctor's Note Fit for Work or Not & why. Feels like No-one Understands what its like for Him & Me, So Much Stress to ask these things of my Son & No Support either.
    I can't give you much advice about support workers but can link you to places that can help:
    https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/legal-rights/health-and-social-care-rights/#.W0xviWjTVTt

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support/

They may or may not be of use to you and your son, maybe other people here have experience with them who might chime in with there experiences.
    If you don't manage to get him one maybe a pet will help, I've had pets my fully life up until recently and I've always found them to be calming and helpful. Do your research before hand though and see if it's right for your son.

Maybe a trip to your GP might be a good idea, they can advice with this better than I can and they might be some help.
  • Jomiranda
    Yes thank you, booked Gp & going to ask for a Health Social Care Assesment, Cognitive behaviour, hope for a Buddy/Befriend him Supporter.
  • Jomiranda
    Has a Dog already.
    Good news we are now able to Bid on bcp home choice, nothing yet in area wanted, but its a start. OT and Therapy & PA once Son has moved in. Hope he can cope with a move, has to be though. Thank you for your comments everyone.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the update @Jomiranda :) It's great that things are moving forwards!

How's your son doing? Did he manage to access some therapy or counselling?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jomiranda

How are you today? Did you find all of the information and advice you were looking for? Glad to hear about your progress  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Jomiranda
    Hi there aw thats really good, my q my 31/32yr old Son doesn't learn the way others do, he has a picture memory & can learn by watching & doing, repeat. His reading isn't bad, its the Understanding sometimes & explaining verbally to another person. Maths & English needs to get up the grades some how. He loves Marvel, DC & is Self taught good at Music making, playing, singing, compose. Doesn't read music notes & didn't want t. Getting better with Q Base. How & who can teach him Maths & English to a good standard to get into possibly a 2D in Animation Course at Bournemouth University when he is ready.
  • Jomiranda
    Therapy form filled out waiting now, has his regular appointment today, if I can get him to start moving lol. 
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Hi @Jomiranda :) 

Thanks for coming back and updating us all on your son's progress.

It's lovely to hear that he is so passionate about music, composing and all other creative things! He sounds very talented. It's exciting that you're potentially thinking about university for him as this will be a positive step for his wellbeing and career :) It might be worthwhile looking into private Maths and English tutors in your local area. I used to have Maths tutoring lessons as I struggled at school with numerical learning. This might be a useful website for you to search online for different Maths and English tutors. The website is called MyTutor and the link can be found here. This is an online tutoring service, but I'm sure there are plenty of tutors who are still doing face-face lessons too.

I hope the therapy appointment today goes well for your son :) 

Libby

Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Jomiranda
    edited September 2023
    Hi Libby,
    the Amht Psychiatrist at that time, advised Therapy would be too much & can make person very tired. So we left Therapy out for now. I gave up Work, as 24/7 needed for Son. In recovery from traumas too you see.
    Still waiting on Social Housing, Son to be rehoused, 3yrs sleeping in a corner of our L shaped Living room, but he has been excepted Now, Dorset, under High Medical Need to be Housed, Band B.  Not with BcpHomechoice though, as they are not treating Son as high need, they say due to him having a Tenancy, although they know, from our Proofs, we cannot allow Son to return to the said Tenancy, also nolonger suitable accommodation. I'm actually unhappy with the way the Bcp conduct themselves & responses, contact is near 0, very unprofessional & I've now tried Executive Manager, week or two ago, no response as of yet. Son has an STR & we are helping him with Agoraphobia, he did Buses by himself 3 days in a row this week. Still some very bad Meltdowns, seems 3/4 days good, then Bad, then good. I'm grateful for the Gap lol 😆 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Jomiranda,
    I just wanted to chime in as Libby is no longer with us at Scope.

I'm really sorry to hear about everything you and your son have been going through. Dealing with housing issues on top of ongoing mental health challenges can be really rough and when the support and communication you're getting from the local authority isn't quite up to scratch it can feel like you're just banging your head against a brick wall. However, I'm glad to hear your son is making some progress with his agoraphobia at least which is fantastic.

It certainly sounds like you're doing a tremendous job fighting your son's corner, but 
    I imagine the strain of providing this ongoing support can take a toll on you. I don't suppose you get much support for yourself?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness