Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

How yo claim

Hi does anyone know how to get ESA? As i have been told to go on to ESA? 


  • debsidoodebsidoo Member Posts: 327 Pioneering
    Hi Kangel22
    If you telephone your local jobcentre they will take you through this step by step on the telephone.You can get help from CAB to fill out any forms.
    You may not be able to claim esa in your area as it may be a full Universal Credit area if you are unsure about this they will be able to tell you at the jobcentre.
    Good luck.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Putting your postcode into this link will tell you if your area is a full universal credit area, if it is you have to claim this.

    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Well done poppy123456 mind of information so glad you are keeping those who need help, pointing them in the right direction. Many thanks from all of us.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi kangel22,

    If you have been working in the last two tax years you may be entitled to ESA contribution based, which you can get whether you live in a full service UC area or not. It's only means tested benefits that UC has replaced, but if you can claim ESA C you'd need to apply for UC for the possible top up and any housing costs that may apply if you live in a full service area. If not then it's ESA C and/or ESA IR. If you need to apply for Council Tax Reduction this is done separately at your local council.


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.