Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Unexpected letter- "we need to look at your claim"

JamesGJamesG Member Posts: 6 Connected
Hello there. I received an unexpected letter yesterday, it titled "we need to look at your claim"

It states "we need to decide if you might be eligible for income-related esa from the date 05 November 2013" and "if you're eligible you may be entitled to extra payments, these are called premiums" 

It further down states I won't be eligible between date above and now if 

*I've had or have a partner who's worked more than 24hrs a week, 
*I've had or has saving over £16k
*if I've had or have a partner and their or our combined savings add upto over £16k

I have been in receipt of ESA since I'm guessing around that date, I was awarded contribution based esa aswell as care group status. I've been receiving around £112 a week accordingly.

I am registered blind and my DLA was switched to PIP on the 6th of Jan, where I was awarded enhanced for both parts. 

I live on my own, am single and this is what is concerning me over this random unexpected letter and especially as it questions so far back. Is it a standard letter they send out after being awarded ESA for 5 years, or a letter that they'd send out some months after switching from DLA to PIP and finally why does it talk about income based ESA and not contribution based, as that is what I've been entitled to? 

Thank you for your help and apologies if I'm just getting worried over nothing 

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2018
    Some people that were transferred from Incapacity benefit to ESA were never paid any of the premiums on top of ESA. This is because they were automatically placed on Contribution based ESA. DWP admitted the error a few months ago and are contacting all those it could have affected. This means that it sounds like you're owed some money, because you don't live with a partner that works and Income related top ups are based on household income.  but DWP are only currently only paying from October 2014.

Enhanced disability premium is £16.40 extra on top of your ESA per week.
    There's also another premium that you may qualify for call severe disability premium. Does anyone claim Carers Allowance for looking after you? If not and because you live alone you will be eligible for this extra premium of £64.30 per week on top of your ESA.

The 2 premiums added together give a total ESA Income related amount of approximately £189 per week.

You'll need to fill out the form that you've received so they can asses you for the Income related top ( no face 2 face needed) Once this is done you'll be able to make a separate claim for the Severe disability premium.

Relax there's nothing to worry about, for you its good news.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • JamesGJamesG Member Posts: 6 Connected
    Thank you for your quick reply.

I currently do not have anyone claiming carers allowance for me as everyone that does lend a hand also works full time, I am living alone though yes.

According to 1 esa letter which I can find dated Jan 2015 I recive(d) per week

Living expenses = £73
    Support group = £36
    Top up from IB = £2.75

Total £112.05

So you're saying they'll be wanting to switch me from contribute based to income based, which that enables me to claim extra premiums on top and also I should be due a backdated claim?

Thank you again for all the help 
    It will be an Income related top up of both premiums yes. You'll still receive Contribution based.

Yes you'll receive back dated money for the premiums. The form you received must be filled in to assess your Income before the premiums are paid.

The Severe disability premium (SDP) of £64 per week needs to be claimed separately once the other premium is added. You'll need to ring ESA and ask them to send you the IS10 form for the SDP.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    Thank you so much 
  • prettypetalprettypetal Member Posts: 4 Listener
    I have been rolling this through my mind all day. I got the exact same letter. So I called as I was curious as to the DWP owning up to a mistake. As Poppy says is exactly what I was told on the form. Once you talk to them on the phone, they can either fill out the claim for backdating there and then which can take up to an hour. Or send it out for you to fill in. Think she says 4 weeks it has to be handed back in by. Thanks Poppy for the info on SDP as I wasn't sure how I would negotiate how to handle it. So glad for this community here. 😉
  • AndyPAndyP Member Posts: 9 Listener
    My god I have received the exact same letter and am so paranoid about Dwp I sensed a trap. Not that there is anything I'm doing wrong I hasten to add but just hate dealing with them. So glad I read this post.... Maybe I'll phone them now rather than just panic. 
  • susan48susan48 Member Posts: 2,229 Disability Gamechanger
    @AndyP, looks like you’v nothing to worry about, call then so as you know and hopefully it’s an unexpected backdated entitlement.
    it's a backdated amount we are owed from a mistake made to 200 thousand claimants. From October 2014 to present day. So I've calculated just shy of £3000. Also once you get the backdated money you can apply for Severe Disablement and that's about £65 a week. So if that's backdated to the same date October 2014 then it's more like 10 grand ! This is only my estimate which might not be accurate. I've sent the form back today. 
    I missed my phone call yesterday. Tried calling them at 8am to get this ball started, to only be told to just wait for another call or further letter to turn up.

After reading other similar posts I'm a little confused on one matter. Does anyone know if they'll be holding off, from paying any money once they've received a completed new application? 

I hope not as a minimum of 4 weeks only living on my PIP and living on my own really will be difficult for sure 
  • al1b0y13al1b0y13 Member Posts: 13 Connected
    i dont believe for a second this was a mistake.the dwp/dole/dss/dhss whatever they have called themselves,their official policy is not to tell you what you are entitled to i know this for a fact.it came straight from the horses mouth.let me ask all of you this.if it was brought to their attention in 2011/12/13/and has been ignored for years,only after an onslaught of queries from their own staff.citizens advice.welfare orgs etc.why did they not deal with it straight away.then invent some ludicrous legal loophole to try and keep back a large chunk of it.why are there huge telephone directory size"benefits bibles"held by advice givers on what you are entitled to?why is it you never get a straight answer?why deem someone clearly incapable of work"fit"?why underpay?this was no mistake,they are only addressing it because they cant beat the law.
  • al1b0y13al1b0y13 Member Posts: 13 Connected
    Just wondering, in light of this, does anyone know how long it takes DWP to pull their finger out and make the payments?? 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    They estimate 12 weeks I think AndyP but it's a bit of a lottery - some people are paid much quicker, for example. 

Gill_Scope
    Thanks Gill. 
    You're welcome AndyP
    Well I actually got the letter today saying they've paid me what they owe. Not in the account yet but its in black and white... 
    Great. Glad to hear it. Thanks for letting us know. 

Gill_Scope
  • chantschants Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Ahh I looked back and in 2014 they paid me £342 for 5 payments as opposed to £115. A week. So I guess they caught me up. Hopefully for all the years I was claiming Esa contribution based. I think it amounted to just over 1K payout. As I can’t remember why they paid me so much for 5 payments. 
  • tommybtommyb Member Posts: 5 Listener
    edited November 2018
    I recently returned the form that dates mines back to 2012. The bit that's confusing me is do they only contact you if you're eligible ? I'm also reading about people who have carers as I do does this mean returning the form is a waste of time. It only says you're not eligible if you have 16k of savings or if your partner worked no mention of carers allowance. It's quite confusing.
    Not sure if they contact you if you're ineligible. If it was me, I would wait a few weeks then, if I've heard nothing, phone them up  
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Not everyone will be eligible which is why you have to fill in the ESA3 form. This is a financial check on your savings and other income which has to be taken into consideration. There is a section that asks if you care for anyone or if you have someone caring for you
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
    I've already returned the form they sent it out to me I didn't request it. I'm confused with the carer bit. My wife receives carers allowance does that mean I won't be entitled to payment they're talking about. Surely they would know that she's in receipt of carers allowance, I just don't understand why they've put on the form not to return it if you have 16k of savings or if you're partner has worked but no mention of carers allowance. Is there anyone whose spouse gets carers allowance that's qualified for this payment. I think that's what I'm trying to ask lol.
    As you've returned the form then the only thing you can do is wait to hear back. As you live with your partner then claiming the Income related top up will depend on circumstances of both of you. It can take about 12 weeks to get a decision.
  • kaizerkaizer Member Posts: 12 Listener
    Hi my husband has just received this letter and esa3 form. We are a bit confused about filling it in as we have read that income related is to become universal credit (we don't want this). If he fills in  this form will he go onto a different benefit or will he still be on contribution esa, will his fortnightly amount be lower in the end, will dwp change his benefits or is it just to check to see if he is entitled to a back pay. We only just manage on what we get now so we don't want to be worse off. Please help and thank you to everyone.
    I was in your shoes a few months ago. Posted here too. Please dont be scared as I've now been paid the back payment and I am still on Contribution based ESA. But my amount has went up considerably by 130 a fortnight because of the enhanced benefits we missed out on. So please don't be scared to apply as we should ve been getting this all along. It's a positive getting this letter. As for Carers Allowance I don't think it will matter either way. If it does then you will find out by filling the form in. Nothing changes except you get more than you should ve been getting in the first place. 
    Okay thanks. Carers allowance doesn't apply to me because even though my husband is disabled and will never get better he's only on low rate dla, they said I can't be classed as his carer as I don't have to wake up in the night to give him any medication, hence why he only gor diven low rate and even though I can't work because I have to care for him. But thanks anyway for your reply.
    What is it about?
    When Incapacity Benefit claimants and some SDA claimants were transferred to ESA the DWP failed to assess whether they should have received an Income Related ESA top-up to the Contribution Based ESA that they were awarded.

Top-up not replacement
    The first thing you need to be aware of is that this is an ESA(IR) top-up to your existing ESA(CB), it does not replace it, you remain entitled to your ESA(CB).

Universal Credit
    This is a an amendment to your existing ESA claim, it will not result in a transfer to UC as a new claim is not being made. To emphasise again, whilst the ESA(IR) element will at some time after the end of 2019 be transferred to UC, the ESA(CB) element will remain in payment and unaffected.

Not a reassessment of your award
    This is not a reassessment of your existing ESA award, only whether you are eligible for the ESA(IR) top-up.

How to qualify
    There are several reasons you may qualify for the top-up;

1. you qualify for one or more of the ESA Premiums
    1.1 The Enhanced Disability Premium is paid for being in the Support Group, you are receiving DLA Higher Rate Care or you are Receiving PIP Enhanced Daily Living.
    1.2 The Severe Disability Premium is paid if you receive an enabling benefit such as DLA MRC or HRC or PIP Daily Living, no one receives Carers Allowance against the enabling benefit and you live alone or are considered to be living alone.
    1.3 The Carers Premium because you or a partner are entitled to Carers Allowance.
    2. The couples Personal allowance is payable.

What stops you being entitled
    The first thing to say is that this ESA3 is looking at your financial situation over the whole period from when you were transferred to ESA up and till today. You may qualify for the whole period, you may have qualified on transfer but not now, now but not then, or just for periods during the whole period.

There are three reasons why you would not be entitled, any one of the following will prevent payment of ESA(IR);

1. Your household savings and assets exceed £16,000, or they exceed £6000 and the deduction from your ESA(IR) exceeds the ESA(IR) you would receive.
    2. Your partner works for 24 or more hours a week.
    3. Your household income exceeds the amount of ESA(IR) that you would receive. Note: Even if your pension is disregarded for the purposes of your ESA(CB), it is not for ESA(IR) and will be deducted in full.

You are not sure that you qualify
    Rates have changed over the years but you can put your information into one of the online benefit calculators, see

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

You do not think you qualify
    If you are certain that throughout the period in question you are not eligible for ESA(IR) then you can return the form uncompleted, the DWP for there own records will want a reason for this, you can either tick one of the boxes that they supply or add your own explanation
    Filling out the ESA3 form you've been sent will not prompt a move to Universal credit.
    So just because my wife is in receipt of carers allowance for me this doesn't necessarily mean that you're not entitled. Is that right, it's so confusing 😁😁
    tommyb said:
    So just because my wife is in receipt of carers allowance for me this doesn't necessarily mean that you're not entitled. Is that right, it's so confusing 😁😁
    Your wife claiming carers allowance won't affect it. Other things could affect it though. Does your wife claim Income Support as well as Carers allowance? does she work? Savings/capital, pension can all affect the Income Related top up.
    The only thing she gets is carers allowance and a very small amount of income support that's all she gets.
    tommyb said:
    The only thing she gets is carers allowance and a very small amount of income support that's all she gets.
    The Income Support will be counted as income £1 for £1 when assessing for any income related top up on your Contributions based ESA.
    Thanks for the info poppy just have to wait and see what happens. The letter stated from 2012 do it's a fair amount of time.
  • Endless21Endless21 Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Just received this letter yesterday, I am a carer for my son who is 34. It seems to be based on partner income, is this right or will the fact that I get carers allowance and income support be counted??
  • shazdenshazden Member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited November 2018
    we too received this letter. my husband transferred to esa(cb) from ib (cb) he was on dla higher rate for both I was on dla high mobility low care. on ib he was entitled.to an allowance for me and the kids when he changed to esa. he didn't get this allowance. I claim carers for him would he be entitled to the extra on ir due to allowances for me and the kids
    Endless21 said:
    Just received this letter yesterday, I am a carer for my son who is 34. It seems to be based on partner income, is this right or will the fact that I get carers allowance and income support be counted??
    The Income related top up depends on many things. A partner working, savings capital and other household income. Income or benefits from anyone else other than a partner that you live with doesn't count.
    shazden said:
    we too received this letter. my husband transferred to esa(cb) from ib (cb) he was on dla higher rate for both I was on dla high mobility low care. on ib he was entitled.to an allowance for me and the kids when he changed to esa. he didn't get this allowance. I claim carers for him would he be entitled to the extra on ir due to allowances for me and the kids
    That will totally depend on circumstances. If you claim Income support as well as carers allowance. Savings/capital and other household income. Your partner would not receive any extra money in his ESA for your children. Money for your children comes from tax credits and child benefit.

All he can do is fill the form in and return it. It can take 12 weeks for a decision and they'll write to him when the decision is made.
  • shazdenshazden Member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited November 2018
    thank you poppy123456. i did not claim is for myself but did get child tax and cb on ir would we be given a couples allowance  Edp  and carers premium 
    Hi, just a few quick questions. On the esa3 form it asks about other bank accounts since the date on the front. I only have the one where my husband's esa goes into, do i need to put this one or does it mean any new ones. Also my son has now turned an adult this year so we no longer get ctc or cb for him so where it asks about other income do i put what we get now or when my son was a child and where it ask about other people living with us do i put my son even though it previously asks about children living with us from 2012. This form is so confusing as one part they are asking about past then now. 
    Hi Kaizer

I'd just be as clear and as accurate as possible - so include all bank statements held since the day the DWP are asking about; include that you had CHB and CTC but this stopped on such-and-such a date, say when your son moved out, and so on. 

I hope this helps.

It is laborious, but it might be worthwhile!

Gill_Scope

I am just guessing here but I feel if you got a letter then there might be a good chance you qualify as they didn't send them to every ESA claimant? 
    I am just guessing here but I feel if you got a letter then there might be a good chance you qualify as they didn't send them to every ESA claimant? 
    No, this is not true. They're sending the ESA3 forms to all those that transferred from Incapacity benefit to ESA, regardless of whether you qualify or not. DWP would not know who qualifies without assessing their household income/savings/capital.
  • C_Herath2009C_Herath2009 Member Posts: 26 Listener
    Oh no my heart sinks and i have been crying today (Reading over past Traumas that i seriously thought i had under control -Then they became not under control 17 times i tried to get through to DWP (I got cut off 3 x yesterday all i need is a new blasted Form i to had a 💡Moment i tripped over my crutches and fell over a lamp i though "Oh well it blooming hurts but i have had far worse pain next day i have a burn bigger than a 50p this has really depressed me beyond belief even worse when i went to the Brain Injury Unit 11 People some in a far worse situation than me have had all there money stopped ...One has been waiting 11 months for a Madatory Whatever they apparently stop one they stop them all (The reason there are no disabled people or uneployed is because we are all trying to get through to the DWP who i spent 4 depressing hours waiting to get through was cut off when i did get through ?The music i know by heart and i HATE it ..I nearly requested I'M GOING SLIGHTLY MAD ...I still do not have the form that has been incorectly filled in by my social worker i am tempted to shove it all in a large envelope send it off anyway as i can't take any more reading off my medical HISTORY.G.P. did say NOT BEDTIME reading (Not i am afraid reading for anytime off day or night ....So i went out i ventured out with my Dad got a few odd looks as had sunglasses on through crying ..Its put me off my food everything i feel like i am doomed for the streets and the soup kitchen ...This is the biggest 🙇‍♀️off Justice ever rather than discriminate against cheating people ?(They ether are just paying themselves like lovely AMBER RUDD  ?)Why does she not resign?Do the correct thing none off them are fit for office?Sorry not being Politically Correct.But this form has made me more ill than i have been in ages i can't understand even the questions i have no hankerchief pocket ?(If i did no matrer how hard it is i would drag a hankie out ..)What relivance does a hankerchief pocket have i have one wrist thats in a brace because its broken and gone wonky -the other one i have neuropathy?Because off the Brain Injury i have no idea why they are going on about carying a ltr ?I can't cary a cup without droping the darn thing...This is really bad timing apparently they text you 9 days afterwards to get back to you mine is due back on 21 st December
  • VampsterVampster Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi... I am new here... I have just been reading some of the posts on here about the ESA3(IBR) form well more like a ruddy booklet.. I now feel a lot more reasured now.. I get cb esa and they just moved me in noNovemb 2013 straight from ib to cbesa.. I am getting the same amount each week as JamesG is... I live with my mum she is over 80.. i have filled my form out and going to post it on Monday and wait till I hear back from the DWP Thanks for the reassurance tho guys it's helped me relax more now knowing that they are looking into if they have underpaid me.... I recently was awarded pip and I am still surprised at how much they have awarded me with that... maybe they could have another unexpected surprise for me... 
  • piglet101piglet101 Member Posts: 29 Connected
    Hello :-) Very relieved to find this thread, and thank you for clear information. Glad everybody has the chance to receive further assistance.

The ESA have written back asking for 5 years of bank statements, and to answer a question I'd missed, by February 5th. Chronic physical issues (double pip enhanced) and long-term support group ESA; also severe dissociation, and am overwhelmed at how to provide 5 years of bank statements. That would be 60 pages or more? I'm not even sure I can carry that (single, housebound). 
    Hi @piglet101

Thank you for the post and I'm sorry for the delay in replying.. I'm wondering whether there's any local help yo can get with the form or with collecting the bank statements from the bank. I guess if you don' t do internet banking AND have a printer at home, they would send them to you in the post; you have to divide them up and send them on. 

If you want to search for local help, try www.advicelocal.uk. I realise that this might or might not help with the practicalities of the administration for this. 

Best wishes

Gill_Scope
  • piglet101piglet101 Member Posts: 29 Connected
    edited January 2019
    Hi Gill_Scope :-) Thanks for your message. I do have internet banking and a printer, but I think the bank were unfortunately keen to charge the £10.
    I'd made another thread, and then found that DPD do collect/deliver, which is great, and also proves postage. DPD are always very good about deliveries, so it'll be good to get these sent (arrived in multiple different envelopes, so I've needed to wait, to be sure they've all arrived). Thank you for the link; much appreciate.
    Best wishes, and have a lovely day.

• MidasMidas Member Posts: 5 Listener
    edited January 2019
    Hi, thanks for this thread it is very informative.

I filled this form (ESA3) in a few weeks ago and have just received a letter telling me they have awarded me some money which dates back a few years.
    One thing I have realised since I filled the form in is that I made a mistake. One of the questions asked if I received mobility, I actually read that as do you have a mobility car for some reason, which I do not. I have since realised that what they actually meant was do I receive DLA (higher mobility) which I do. Only on the form I said I didn't because I misread the mobility part as motobility, meaning car.
    So my question is, do I need to get in touch with them, will this make a difference as to what they decided I was entitled to? As it is very difficult to work out how they calculate things.
    I cant seem to find anyone I can call that can help with this.
    Once again, thanks for the thread and website..

PS. I read above about "The Severe disability premium (SDP)"
    What is this and does it affect me?

Midas said:
    Hi, thanks for this thread it is very informative.

I filled this form (ESA3) in a few weeks ago and have just received a letter telling me they have awarded me some money which dates back a few years.
    One thing I have realised since I filled the form in is that I made a mistake. One of the questions asked if I received mobility, I actually read that as do you have a mobility car for some reason, which I do not. I have since realised that what they actually meant was do I receive DLA (higher mobility) which I do. Only on the form I said I didn't because I misread the mobility part as motobility, meaning car.
    So my question is, do I need to get in touch with them, will this make a difference as to what they decided I was entitled to? As it is very difficult to work out how they calculate things.
    I cant seem to find anyone I can call that can help with this.
    Once again, thanks for the thread and website..

DLA isn't means tested and claiming any part of this will not affect any income related top up you receive.
    Hi @Midas

Also, whilst getting a certain level (middle rate) of the care component of DLA does satisfy one of the conditions for getting a severe disability premium, the mobility component doesn't make a difference to your entitlement to ESA. There no premium that you qualify for because of having the mobility component of DLA or PIP. 

Gill_Scope

• MidasMidas Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi @Midas

Also, whilst getting a certain level (middle rate) of the care component of DLA does satisfy one of the conditions for getting a severe disability premium, the mobility component doesn't make a difference to your entitlement to ESA. There no premium that you qualify for because of having the mobility component of DLA or PIP. 

Gill_Scope

Thank you Gill and Poppy.
    The reason I asked was where it shows how it was all worked out they keep listing the higher mobility thing as £0.00 along with the ESE figures. I really don't see why they would list that if it had nothing to do with the claim. I should probably give them a call?
    The reason they list other benefits is because that's what you claim, they list them whether they're deducted from your ESA or not. DLA and PIP isn't means tested so it's not deducted.

Sorry but i don't know what ESE is.

As advised your high rate mobility isn't counted for ESA and doesn't qualify you for the severe disability premium (SDP) for this you need MId/high rate care DLA, live alone or classed as living alone and no one must be claiming carers allowance for looking after you.
    @Midas

Agreed Poppy. Midas, you don't need to call them to say you have high rate mobility of DLA - their letter shows that they already know. One occasion when you don't have to worry. It makes a nice change. 

Gill_Scope
  • katie6katie6 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi I have had a letter saying I’m owed 3396.80 phoned esa 7 people told me that I’m due it to be back dated then one said I ain’t cause I have a career for my pip, so do u not get it if u got career so confused, waiting on manager to call me back now said it will be in next 48 hrs, can anyone help so confused
  • SC83SC83 Member Posts: 9 Listener
    This is why I'm confused about the whole thing. I know I'm definitely entitled to the premium of £15 odd a week. On the letter I was sent though (ESA3), the date was specific to just one year, which was 2012/13, which was when I was transferred from IB. Looking back though from 2013/14/15/16 I was payed even less. My circumstances hadn't changed. Does anybody know if the DWP will check the later years? 
  • PaddythePoguePaddythePogue Member Posts: 10 Listener
    Hi, my query is similar to the previous one . The letter I received also referred to  just one year, 2012/13 . I believe I will get the premium of £16.4  a week.  But can anyone say if it will be just for that one year, or will it be backdated from 2012/13 to the present?  
    Re ESA arrears; please help ; a previous post stated ;  "The form requested information for the dates between April 2012 and May 2016. During that period I had no savings & no partner." My situation is the same EXCEPT I was only asked about the period OCT 2012- OCT 2013. Does THIS MEAN i WILL ONLY BE CONSIDERED FOR arrears relating to that 52 week period - meaning my MAX PAYOUT WILL BE £52 X £15 [OR £16.4, or WHATEVER THE enhanced  PREMIUM WAS AT THE TIME ?]  
    Hi Paddy

The only people that can answer your queston is the DWP.
    If you have all your paperwork from 2012 up to present then an advice agency near you may be able to shed some light on it.
    Thanks for responding. I'll call them.
  • Therapy76Therapy76 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi, I have terminal cancer, i get ESA with support group payment, and Disability income Guarantee. PIP with both enhanced amounts due to my terminal condition. My original applications for benefits were made by Benefits expert at local Maggies centre. I got a letter today saying i may be entitled to Severe Disability Premium because of the benefits i already qualify for. I have no carers and live alone. My question is as it seems I have been eligible for this payment since my benefits started will this be back dated for the last 3 years .? I also have a DS1500 form stating I am unlikely to live for 6months or more. Thanks in advance is very complicated trying to find a straight answer online.
    Therapy76 said:
    Hi, I have terminal cancer, i get ESA with support group payment, and Disability income Guarantee. PIP with both enhanced amounts due to my terminal condition. My original applications for benefits were made by Benefits expert at local Maggies centre. I got a letter today saying i may be entitled to Severe Disability Premium because of the benefits i already qualify for. I have no carers and live alone. My question is as it seems I have been eligible for this payment since my benefits started will this be back dated for the last 3 years .? I also have a DS1500 form stating I am unlikely to live for 6months or more. Thanks in advance is very complicated trying to find a straight answer online.
    I'm sorry to hear that!

To answer your question, yes the SDP will be backdated to the date you qualified, regardless of how long that is. The quickest way to claim the SDP is to ring ESA and ask to fill out the IS10 form over the phone. Doing it this way, a decision should be made much quicker.
    Hi thank you for quick reply, Do you know for certain from my criteria above that I am entitled? From what I have read I am, but some of the sites I’ve read confuse this by adding “may” be entitled is it not a yes or no? thanks again for your help. I have lived with this and constant chemo/radio therapy operations for 12 years in total amd continuos for the last 3 years. To find out I may have died before even being informed I was owed this money is rediculous to me, back dated is almost £10,000 I could have used to make this a lot more comfortable. 
    Thanks 
    You're welcome. The only ones that can tell you for definite is DWP.
  • christine1966christine1966 Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi how long are people waiting for their money to be backdated.
    Hi how long are people waiting for their money to be backdated.
    The current waiting time for a decision for the IB to ESA underpayments is 12-20 weeks.
  • nellyn2006nellyn2006 Member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited June 2019
    I have received the same letter but it states I currently claim esa? I attended a tribunal and I won but was told wouldn’t receive any payments because I had been paid for a year during the assessment process. I’m confused because I don’t receive any money but they say I do. Also my letter is  backdated to 2009!
    I have received the same letter but it states I currently claim esa? I attended a tribunal and I won but was told wouldn’t receive any payments because I had been paid for a year during the assessment process. I’m confused because I don’t receive any money but they say I do. Also my letter is  backdated to 2009!
    Which group were you placed into by the Tribunal? Receiving NI credits towards your state pension means your ESA claim will remain open.

Did you live with a partner that works?
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,653 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @christine1966 and @nellyn2006! If you need anything else at all then please do not hesitate to ask :) 
    Scope

Hi, I got 2 letters today with 2 payments totaling £10,000 .. 2.5 weeks after returning my form.. cant believe I got it! 👍🏻👍🏻
    This is amazing @Therapy76!! Thank you for sharing this with us all!
    Scope

• Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 8,001

Scope community team

Brilliant news @Therapy76!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • pgtipspgtips Member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited July 2019
    Hi all. Have received letter and ESA3(IBR) Form.Does anyone know did you have ro be in the support group to be entitled to the enhanced Premium. I was moved from IB to CB ESA in June2012. My money stayed the same as IB £221.70 fortnightly for 52wks. In June2013 was moved to income related ESA £200.30 fortnightly because they said i could ony receive  CB ESA  in the WRG for 365 days .Does this mean i wasn't entitled to Enhanced Premium for June2012 /13  so wont be owed any money. Because i must have been in Work Related Group. Do i send reply slip back saying not entitled to ESA under payments 
    pgtips said:
    Hi all. Have received letter and ESA3(IBR) Form.Does anyone know did you have ro be in the support group to be entitled to the enhanced Premium. I was moved from IB to CB ESA in June2012. My money stayed the same as IB £221.70 fortnightly for 52wks. In June2013 was moved to income related ESA £200.30 fortnightly because they said i could ony receive  CB ESA  in the WRG for 365 days .Does this mean i wasn't entitled to Enhanced Premium for June2012 /13  so wont be owed any money. Because i must have been in Work Related Group. Do i send reply slip back saying not entitled to ESA under payments 
    Enhanced disability premium is only paid in the WRAG if you're claiming high rate care DLA or Enhanced daily living PIP.
    Welcome to the community @pgtips! (do you like tea by any chance ;) )
    Thank you @poppy123456 for answering this. 
    Is there anything else we can help with?
    Scope

• pgtipspgtips Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you very much for your help  :)
  • jaffajaffa Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Can anyone help please I received a DWP letter saying my ESA had changed and now I get the several disability top up on my ESA at £64 round that I wasn't getting it before but now all of a sudden it just on my claim I havnt been contacted by the job centre at all about anything and didn't no if I was due a back date as I was not getting this before 
    jaffa said:
    Can anyone help please I received a DWP letter saying my ESA had changed and now I get the several disability top up on my ESA at £64 round that I wasn't getting it before but now all of a sudden it just on my claim I havnt been contacted by the job centre at all about anything and didn't no if I was due a back date as I was not getting this before 
    Hi,

The severe disability premium you're receiving is because you're claiming either PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care and you're living alone, or classed as living alone.

No one can tell you whether they owe you any backdated money, i'm afraid. You'll need to ring ESA and ask them when they open at 8.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 8,001

Scope community team

Hi @jaffa and welcome to the community. :) It's worth giving them a call this morning to ask why it's now been added and query any potential backdated money. Fingers crossed for you, let us know how you get on. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • benson16benson16 Member Posts: 8 Listener
    I sent the ESA backdating underpayment form back in June. Still no clearer to what's going on. How long does it take please? 
    benson16 said:
    I sent the ESA backdating underpayment form back in June. Still no clearer to what's going on. How long does it take please? 
    Hi,

It was taking between 12-20 weeks but now it's exceeding that for a lot of people because of the huge amount of backlogs. Once the decision is made they will write to you. Hopefully not too much longer.
    Thank you poppy. I telephoned the call centre just this morning and was told it could be another 3 months. It's been 14 weeks now. Very confusing. 
    benson16 said:
    Thank you poppy. I telephoned the call centre just this morning and was told it could be another 3 months. It's been 14 weeks now. Very confusing. 
    Yes backlogs are huge because of the IB to ESA underpayments, that timescale doesn't surprise me but it's just a guide because there really is no timescales for any decision.
    That seems very unfair and what organisation doesn't give timescales on decisions in 2019? It's like being punished after already being punished. For being unwell in the first place then underpaid and now told to wait while the government take as long as they want.leaving the unfortunate to carry on living in limbo waiting for something we should of had in the first place. Perplexed doesn't quite sum it up. But thanks again poppy I appreciate your information 
    No problem. Unfortunately, we can't do anything about backlogs. There's 1000's of people that were transferred across, not just a few.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    benson16benson16

Unfortunately there aren't any statutory targets for this work, as with everything the DWP does, but obviously the longer the delay, the longer you are losing out - and so you could complain.

The DWP say that they aim to contact everyone affected by December 2019. They publish updates on this exercise every few months (the latest was in July 2019 & the next will be in October)

We don't know the average wait between being contacted & a decision, but we do know that in July 2019, of the 460,000 people who had been contacted at that stage, nearly 90,000 were still waiting for a decision. So it's very clear that it is slow progress.

You can see more information here.

I've looked to see if anyone has asked a question in the House of Commons or via Freedom of Information on the average wait, but haven't found anything. 

If you've lost out in other ways (for example, having to pay for prescriptions), then it may be worth a complaint in any case.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
    You would think they would be working around the clock to rectify the mistakes they made. Obviously the figure of 1200 staff wasnt enough to get this resolved swiftly. 
Sign in or join us to comment.