PIP Face to Face Review? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Face to Face Review?

Options
2»

Comments

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    People on here can only offer advice and opinions from their own experiences. Nothing is garaunteed. No matter who posts it, take it with a pinch of salt. Nobody here is saying if you do or say this you will 100 percent succeed. 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Yadnad it’s just poorly explained (as ever). AA, like DLA is about the care you reasonably require rather than actually receive. If that weren’t the case you could have someone living alone in need of 24 hour care with no relatives, friends or neighbours able to provide it and yet unable to get AA to buy it in. That would clearly be a nonsense. 

Whether or not you reasonably require attention or supervision depends on whether you can’t do things at all without that a/s or only very slowly or only in pain. 

You may begin to see why I say PIP is not as big a change as people think it is. 
    I'm coming round to that thinking myself having experienced DLA & PIP and now looking at the requirements under AA.

A quick question? - if using the aids I have helps me and without them I would definitely need help - for example bathing. I would not be able to get in or out of the bath, nor would I be able to stand up and dry myself down, how would that work? Would having all of these aids preclude me from needing the help?

• Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Options
    I have to agree PIP for me has proved to be a better benefit than DLA @Username_removed even though I was on indef high mobility and low care, now both Enhanced ongoing and no ftf for 10 years hopefully if I don't get a review or crock it first I can sit back for a while.

@Yadnad If I was you just put in for AA and see what comes from it, if you don't put in for it otherwise you will never know wether you will get it or not.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• Yadnad
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Yes aids and appliances count as “simpler methods” for DLA and AA. Another thing which is a change for the better in PIP, which takes the opppsite approach.
    So please correct me if I am not understanding. I have aids instead of needing help of another person - call me independent - so having these aids means that the help is no longer needed and as such cannot be seen as help needed for AA purposes?

Stairs I do have difficulties with obviously but because I don't need to use them but once in the morning and once in the evening as I have two toilets one downstairs and one up which are both adapted for me, means that the help I would need for the stairs throughout the day is no longer there?

Put bluntly, the more adaptions and aids I have the less likely it is that I would qualify for AA?

If that is the case your statement about someone on their own with no one to help and not having the money to pay for that help all they would need is to approach Social Services to adapt the home for their needs which would reduce their needs so therefore making themselves ineligible for AA and in consequence reduce the financial burden on the state?

This sounds even more complex and weird than PIP does.
  • Yadnad
    Options
    First three paras. Spot on. Fourth one. Great theory but in practice people in that position rarely engage and would most likely miss out on both AA and an assessment.
    Yipee I have managed to crack the understanding of what AA is all about!! That's the first time and first benefit that I have understood.

So I presume that people (whether they have these aids or not) are best advised to play dumb and let the DWP think that they do require help as they have no aids???

It is a ridiculous benefit in my opinion in that you try to be independent (in my case it's because of in our house it's very much like the blind leading the blind given my wife's problems) you become unable to claim the benefit because the help you need is met by a lump of metal/plastic instead of a person.

Who on earth thought this through when they devised it??
  • Yadnad
    Options
    .@Yadnad If I was you just put in for AA and see what comes from it, if you don't put in for it otherwise you will never know wether you will get it or not.
    Unfortunately I am not a chancer. This may well be the result of my military years as well as my civilian actions thinking that I was still in the army!
    I always take the view that the results - call it the sum - has to be greater than the work put in.
    Put simply, do I waste my time filling in all 30 odd pages of the form, stating the complete truth knowing that the result is more likely than not to be a refusal.

I have been asking Mike a few questions and now have the understanding in how awards are made for AA.
    By having the aids I have installed I have removed the need for human intervention - no human intervention = no needs = no AA award.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.